We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

Hi all,

I've been very worried after reading how unsafe RER Line D and RER line in general is....

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 7 and 9, and will need to travel from Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon on a Sunday at 11pm. How safe is it to travel by RER Line D or should we take a taxi?

How long will waiting for a taxi be at 11pm on a Sunday?

Thanks in advance../

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,109 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris Gare de Lyon
Paris Gare de Lyon
231 Reviews
Paris, France
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.60*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.50*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$124.00*
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

All of the security reports about the RER D concern exclusively the northern suburbs. Since Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon is inside Paris, there is no problem at all. The passengers are not prey.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,109 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris Gare de Lyon
Paris Gare de Lyon
231 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
United States
Level Contributor
9,380 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

with a family of four safety or not I would just grab at taxi especially if you are coming off a long flight and have luggage etc. I don't think anyone can anticipate the taxi line; however at that hour on Sunday one would think it would not be a long wait but that is a guess...I don't know if many taxi drivers just take time off on Sunday? There is no point in being worried about something when you have an alternative.

Edited: 09 November 2013, 19:04
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

Of course it all depends if security or convenience is your priority.

Rail travel is infinitely more secure than taking a taxi in traffic.

A taxi is considerably more convenient than taking the RER.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

While I have never taken this line I have never heard any reports of incidents on RER D except for the infamous attack in Grigny, a distant southern suburb. My husband occasionally takes RER D coming back from the countryside in the south and indeed doesn't like the portion of the line between Corbeil and Villeneuve-St-Georges but just because those suburbs look depressingly ugly and look like an industrial and commercial wasteland. But he has never felt unsafe or had/witnessed any trouble there (he rides it much earlier than 11 pm though).

In any case this is really far from Paris and RER D in Paris is just as safe as any other RER or métro line. 11 pm is not particularly late in Paris. I see no reason to avoid RER D with your family.

Mentioned in this post
Georges
Georges
572 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
United States
Level Contributor
9,380 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

"Rail travel is infinitely more secure than taking a taxi in traffic"...kerouac2 could you explain this? Did you mean if there was heavy traffic rail travel would be faster? I can't imagine taking a taxi in traffic would be more secure for the passengers? I think I have missed something.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

I just realized that you are coming on a Sunday and outside weekday rush hour RER D runs very infrequently. So you are better off taking RER B south to Châtelet-les-Halles + RER A east to Gare de Lyon. The transfer to change trains at Châtelet-les-Halles is very easy, the two lines are just across the same platform so you just need to walk a few meters.

www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php…

If you miss the 11 pm RER D there won't be any RER D until 11:30 and then the next one at midnight whereas you will get RER B+A leaving every 5 minutes or so.

Edited: 09 November 2013, 19:57
Mentioned in this post
Paris Gare de Lyon
Paris Gare de Lyon
231 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

Taxis are usually plentiful at stations whenever there are trains, and are always a good idea if have any luggage—for practical rather than safety reasons.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,202 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

Gare Du Nord and Gare de Lyon are not that far from each other. Norally I would/nt advise a taxi, but in this case it might be the best option. You might want to check out the RATP site as I believe there is also a bus running that route.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,109 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris Gare de Lyon
Paris Gare de Lyon
231 Reviews
Paris, France
Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

Thank you so much for all the kind advices...

Good point about the infrequency of RER line D during that hour, it didn't occur to me to check the timetable at all...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gare du nord to Gare de Lyon by RER line D at 11pm

With the 4th person cost and the luggage cost added in it would still be only about 15 euros by taxi from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,109 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris Gare de Lyon
Paris Gare de Lyon
231 Reviews
Paris, France