We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day Germany and Paris vacation

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
7 day Germany and Paris vacation

We have 7 days to travel next April during school spring break, and we would like to go to Europe traveling with kids ages 8, 12 and 16. We prefer half day major sight seeing at the most and spend the rest of the day roaming around or hotel down time. I looked at the train ride times but it seems quite far to travel for a 7 day trip. Maybe by air would be better? I would like some suggestions on how to get to Germany from Paris and where to visit in Germany. And also if the combination is a good idea. The other consideration is to go to the french countryside instead of Germany. Any input would be appreciated!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day Germany and Paris vacation

Depends. Do you have seven full days? Not including travel days? Have you ever been to Paris? Seven days isn't very long for a first-time-ever visit to Paris, especially if you throw in a day trip.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day Germany and Paris vacation

Ninninny - IMO I would just visit France. You can easily spend 7 days in Paris. But the countryside is beautiful as well. I love Germany. It was the first European country I visited and have found memories of living with a German family. But based on how you asked the question "and where to visit in Germany" it doesn't sound like you have a real affinity for visiting a certain city or area there.

I would focus on one country and I would pick France. I would get a guide book and have you and your kids go through the different regions and decide what you would really like to see. Each region has it's own unique character.

3. Re: 7 day Germany and Paris vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 December 2015, 13:20
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
385 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day Germany and Paris vacation

As many said above it's really too short of a trip to add Germany if you have never been in either country - but if you really must Cologne is also a 3 hr train ride (Thalys) from Paris. The train station is very close to the famous Dom.

where are you from - I assume the US but it's not clear from your post. Is this your first trip to Europe?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day Germany and Paris vacation

If you want to visit Germany and don't want to rent a car you could take a direct train from Paris to Frankfurt and then from Frankfurt take a local train to the beautiful small city of Mainz. Mainz has a lovely old town, Roman sites, and several excellent museums to visit. It has a lively and young atmosphere which might appeal especially to your older children. You could also take a boat trip on the Rhine to see the castles.

mainz.de/WGAPublisher/…hpkr-5nkgnz.en.html

Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day Germany and Paris vacation

To everyone,

Thank you so much for your input. We have never been to Europe as a family, but my husband and I have been to Europe, specifically Italy, Spain, England and Paris. Because my husband has been to Paris, he thought we could also visit Germany since we've never been. I think it's a great idea, but due to time constraints, i agree it will be too much, especially with kids. We can always make it a separate trip. Truthfully, even though my husband and I have been to Paris, we have never been to the french countryside. So I think that is a good idea to stick to one country. I will research other areas in France but if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

7. Re: 7 day Germany and Paris vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 06:19