We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

Hi

This may be a silly question but I just want to clarify something:

If I am going for example from Rue du Longchamp (Metro Trocadero) to Notre Dame or any other tourist site and this requires a change of metro line, will this require more than one ticket or will one ticket do for the whole journey?

I'm trying to decide if we need four books (four of us going so one book each) for four days.

Havent used the metro system before so not sure.

Thanks for any info.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

<If ... this requires a change of metro line, will this require more than one ticket or will one ticket do for the whole journey?>

One ticket covers the whole journey.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
63 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

Hi, you only need one ticket, as long as you don't exit the metro, you can simply change lines to get to where you need to go

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

Thanks for your help, will I have to validate the tickets each time? Or just once at the beginning of the journey?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,199 posts
1,627 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

When you enter the Metro you will need to insert your tickets. When you change lines, you never leave the station or walk through exit gates, you either go upstairs or downstairs to another metro line but never another ticket machine/Barrier.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

You can only use these tickets within the confines of Paris - Zones 1 to 3 (but check that first as I'm not 100% on that). You won't be able to use these tickets to go to places such as Versailles outside Paris. They are valid on Metro, RER (inside Paris) and Bus.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

Be sure you hold on to the ticket that is in use until you are out on the street at the end of the journey. Inspections are frequent and no quarter is given, even for tourists.

A couple of other metro hints:

-Keep tickets away from anything magnetic as they can be de-magnetized and won't work at the turnstile. You then have to exchange the ticket at the booth... if there is a staffed booth.

- Know the terminus station in the direction you wish to travel. That's how line directions are signed.

- When your 10 ticket carnet is spit out of the vending machine there will be an 11th thing that looks like a ticket. It's not. It's a receipt and won't work in the turnstile. Ask me how I know! ;^)

Have a great time!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,826 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

<<You can only use these tickets within the confines of Paris - Zones 1 to 3>>

I don´t really like to refer to zones for those using the tickets t+ or the tickets commonly obtained when asking for a ¨carnet¨ (though any group of any 10 ticket types may be referred to as a carnet). The ticket t+ is valid anywhere the métro goes, the RER (limited to zone 1), and most anywhere on the bus. For most tourists, these fine points are not necessarily relevant as they usually only travel about central Paris.

Those going to Disney, the airports, or Versailles will require point to point tickets.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

You don't need separate carnet for each person. I would start with 2 carnets and eventually buy more if you run out.

1 single ticket costs E 1.70; carnet is 10 single tickets at the discount price of E 13.30.

If you're left with some at the end of your visit keep them for future- they don't expire.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

I can't imagine anyone going through a whole carnet (10 tickets) in a single day - you'd never be above ground! Start off with one carnet for the two of you and supplement it with another or individual tickets when needed. And remember that Paris has a superb bus system (and that keeps you above ground, where you can see wonderful sights as you pass by).

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,199 posts
1,627 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using the Carnet of 10 tickets for the metro

'Paris has a superb bus system (and that keeps you above ground, where you can see wonderful sights as you pass by).'

In our recent trip we took the bus more so we could see Paris that way. Our bus stop near our hotel took the us to the Trocadero whilst travelling through Montmatre, then past the Arc de Triomphe before arriving at the Trocadero. We took a quick look at the Eiffel Tower light up and take the return bus back to the hotel.