We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private tour guide tipping question...

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Private tour guide tipping question...

We've hired a tour guide for a 3 hour private tour of Paris. He owns the company, and seems to get wonderful reviews from other tripadvisor contributors. Would you tip a tour guide if they do a great job? (or is that considered gauche or offensive?) I just want to make sure that we do the right thing. Any advice is much appreciated!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private tour guide tipping question...

Not necessary. Anyone who starts a business in France and prices themselves so that tips are necessary will soon go bust.

If you WANT to tip, thats a different matter, but no tip will be expected

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private tour guide tipping question...

Definitely not!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private tour guide tipping question...

Since private tour guides set their own rates, no, it's just not necessary to tip.

It's a good idea to invite the guide to join you for lunch or dinner as you can acquire much additional information, tips and recommendations, during the meal.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private tour guide tipping question...

If the private guide owns the company that I would never tip him, here or in France. . he is not an "employee" whos wage you are supplementing.. he has set a price for his private service a tip would be completely unnecessary .

I personally would not feel I needed to buy him lunch either for only a three hour tour,, BUT I would stop halfway for a coffee break and of course would buy the drinks..

My grandmother ( a Parisien) hired me a private guide all day guide for the Louvre.. we bought her lunch, but my grandmother did not tip.. my grandmother wanted me to love and appreciate the Louvre and knew having a proper guided tour in english would be a good start, she herself spoke no english, and I spoke almost no french, .. the guide spoke excellant english and made the trip a wonderful adventure to a young girl. to this day I love visiting the Louvre and that was decades ago. Tours can really have their place .

For me .. just to visit the ET would not be important to me.. I would just go on my own,, and take the stairs if you are afraid of long line for elevators.. the lines are always shorter for them .

PS Good point about not comparing apples to oranges.. a full day HOHO in London is 28 GBP if purchased on a one day special with "Original Tour ".. a one day L'OPen tour hoho in Paris is 31 euros.

I think that means when converted they are within dollars/euros/ pounds of each other.. pretty darn close.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private tour guide tipping question...

Joan, I think ET and HOHO part of your post was meant for NenaMorena's question.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private tour guide tipping question...

oops.. yup..

7. Re: Private tour guide tipping question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 06:18