We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Paris

Sydney
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Paris

Is there a particular place in Paris that has good regular shopping - like Pitt St in Sydney or Oxford St in London ?

I would be mostly shopping for ladies clothes, shoes and accessories.

Regular shopping to me is a $100 dress, or a $30 t-shirt - so middle of the road stuff.

Detaille
Gift & Speciality Shops
Christian Louboutin
Gift & Speciality Shops
Maison Verot
Gift & Speciality Shops
Crocojazz
Gift & Speciality Shops
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Paris

No, there's no shopping in Paris.

JUST KIDDING. There are at least 20 streets that meet this description. You are not in the right budget for most of the Champs Elysée, but Les Halles area, Rue de Rivoli facing Tuileries (and its side streets), Blvd. Saint Germaine (and its many side streets), the Grand Boulevards with Printemps and Galeries Lafyette and the area around and include Bon Marché come to mind. These are the really obvious ones (like Oxford Street). There are lots and lots of others, and people will give you the names.

Rue Gabriel/Rue Montaigne area is as expensive as Champs, but they have their own ambience (but a 75€/$100 dress would be...unusual).

Indeed, for that price range, you are probably best off going to Les Halles and Rue de Rivoli between Bastille and Place Vendôme (a long stretch, btw) and if you are moved to do so, to investigate the side streets on the north side in that area.

Paris has lots of private shops/boutiques or small chains.

Unlike SoCal and Hawaii, there are not lots of T-shirt shops, so not sure what you're expecting.

Sydney
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Paris

Perfect - thanks for your response. I am staying in St Germaine, so your advice for around there was especially helpful.

Looking for regular clothes for out/work - not a big fan of those t-shirts show that you mentioned :)

Good to know there are lots of boutiques/small chains. I love my clothes and prefer something a little different than I'd get in Sydney.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Paris

Galeries Lafayette and Bon Marche are expensive department stores, I'm not sure you'd find alot of options for your budget.

Champs Elysees has a good selection of reasonably priced stores like Zara, H&M, NafNaf Etam, Promod.

Rue de Rivoli between Louvre & Hotel de Ville is great (I loooove the huge Etam store on that street!)

Les Halles, in my opinion, is stuffy and crowded, and confusing. Mostly teen fashions.

My favorite place to shop in Paris is the Quatre Temps mall. Lots of options, in one place.

Favorite French chain brands - Etam & Kookai.

Lots of great shopping though! Montmartre has some really nice boutique for more unique stuff & accessories!

Sydney
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Paris

Thank you - googling all those places you mentioned.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,856 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Paris

For children's wear: check out Petit Bateau for lovely basics, and for more dressed up outfits look into Jacadi, Bonpointe, Tartine et Chocolat.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Paris

It would be very easy to spend way over $100 for a child's dress in those stores.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,551 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Paris

You might want to take a look at BHV's website for comparative purposes.

www.bhv.fr/catalogue/categorie/mode-beaute/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
551 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Paris

The area your are staying in has lots of shops/boutiques. Not sure when your trip is planned for. But if it happens to be in July, the Soldes are great. You can save a lot on money on great items. Also keep in mind that places like Gallieries Layfette (my favorite:) or PriTemps have the tax refund( not all stores do). In most cases if you spend over 175 Euro at the store you can get the refund. I provided a few links that will help you get to the right areas to have fun shopping. Enjoy.

…about.com/od/shopping/tp/Top_Shopping.htm

timeout.com/paris/en/shopping/the-100-best-s…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187147-Activiti…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Paris

There's a new/upgraded shopping mall that is off the tourist beaten track called Beaugrenelle on rue Linois in the 15th arr. that should suit you. It is near the river (just by the island with the Statue of Liberty). Nearest metro station is Charles Michels on line 10 which runs by the St Germain area.

www.beaugrenelle-paris.com/fr/enseignes

The website is in French and is a bit out of date as I went by yesterday and there are some new stores opened but not yet listed. Not French at all, but there is a new Marks & Spencer store there for example. The mall is spread over 3 separate buildings, but you can go between them without going outside, so good for a rainy day.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Paris

In St Germain, check out rue du Four, rue de Rennes, rue de Buci. A good idea would be to take a #95 bus from in front of Monoprix on Rue de Rennes just off Blvd St, Germain and ride down rue de Rennes to Montparnasse. You will be able to window shop many dozens of excellent moderate (for Paris) shops and get a handle on where you would like to return on foot.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 15:10