We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Versaile or Fountainebleau?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wixom, michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Versaile or Fountainebleau?

Which is a better overall experience as a daytrip from Paris? Versaille or Fountainebleau?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,895 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Versaile or Fountainebleau?

Versailles.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
973 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Versaile or Fountainebleau?

Indeed, Versailles is more spectacular, gardens are much better, and is easier to get to via public transportation (train) than Fontainebleau. But there are much more crowds. If you want another option, don't like waiting lines and crowd and wish to see 'hidden gems', you could try a combination of Fontainebleau and Vaux-le-Vicomte castles (http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/) . Seeing these two castles in a day trip is better than Versailles, IMO. Vaux- le-Vicomte is less known than the other two but is really worth a visit. There are several trip reports available on TA.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,895 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Versaile or Fountainebleau?

For us, it's Fountainebleau, but we intensely dislike crowds and already have Disney-like experiences at home. I really want to see Vaux-le-Vicomte as well and enjoyed both Chartres and Chantilly far more than Versailles. So it depends on your own personal tastes, I think.

One thing, though, is that if you don't go to Versailles, the question of whether to go to Versailles will keep coming up. Everyone will ask you if you've been. You will keep wondering if you should have gone. So, we eventually did go (and might go back just to see the gardens - would never do the chateau again). Was just reading reviews of people who had gone to Versailles today, and I am not alone in that opinion. The "I never got close to the thing my audio guide was describing" problem must be frustrating (we, at least, did not have the audio guides - and there was plenty of guide commentary in each room to overhear, if one wanted to listen; the number of people following each guide was amazing...and certainly, not everyone ever got close to all the items being talked about, it was just too crowded - kids seemed at a particular disadvantage).

We enjoyed Saint Germaine en Laye a great deal too, but it isn't for everyone.

Versailles is easy to get to. It's very grand. There's nothing else like it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Versaile or Fountainebleau?

If I wanted to see Versailles but couldn't abide the crush, I'd opt for Vaux le Vicomte. You can see our trip here.

…wordpress.com/2010/…

The designer later designed the gardens of Versailles. I do think that Versailles is something everyone should see once. I like Fontainebleau but it would be third on my list here.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Versaile or Fountainebleau?

<<I do think that Versailles is something everyone should see once.>>

Agree! It's magnificent and there's nothing else like it. Best time to avoid crowds: …chateauversailles.fr/prepare-my-visit-/sing…

(but yes, it will be crowded :-)

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Versaile or Fountainebleau?

Versailles

7. Re: Versaile or Fountainebleau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:17