We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Bagneux

Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Bagneux

Hi all! Would like to ask if Bagneux just south of the city's safe at night? Looking into staying there instead of the central areas to cut costs (will be a long trip, a few months). Much thanks!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,171 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Bagneux

It's safe but I see no major to stay that far out of the city.

Give your budget and I'm sure people here will have ideas inside Paris.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Bagneux

Of all the nearby southern suburbs, that is the last one I would pick. Apart from the usual small shops and gritty kebab/café places along the N20 (a major artery south out of Paris, now renamed the D920), it is mainly a dormitory town with absolutely no charm. It has a lot of warehouses, offices and social housing. The word "bleak" comes to mind. That said, it is not a hotbed of trouble and is not unsafe. I'm sure you could find a cheap-ish hotel that is a) a bit nearer to Paris, b) in a better local area.

Try Montrouge, Vanves, Malakoff, Chatillon, Boulogne-Billancourt, or even go a bit further out to Bourg-la-Reine or Antony which are "real" towns.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,266 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Bagneux

Make sure you aren't trading off a lodging expense for a transport expense....

Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Bagneux

Thank you for the advice! :D My budgets's ~600/.month (*still* possible since I was planning on a short-term rental..) But yes I'll look into the places @dg2006 mentioned. Also checked out the RER route and Bagneux's in Zone 3 which does make transport more expensive...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Bagneux

Antony and Bourg-la-Reine are also in zone 3, but rather unintuitively are just as quick to get to Paris since the fast RER trains stop there but not at Bagneux.

Personally, I'd look for a flat share ("colocation" in French) inside or nearer Paris itself:

http://www.fusac.fr/ad-categories/housing/ in English (mostly)

seloger.com/recherche_colocation_listing.htm… in French.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Bagneux

Staying in zone 3 is insignificant in terms of cost, it's only 19 € more a month, so I really wouldn't worry about spending 19 € more a month on transportation if you can save hundreds on housing. And if you stay anywhere in zone 3 along a métro rather than an RER then it costs nothing more.

The old village/downtown of Bagneux is cute but too far from the Bagneux RER station to be convenient.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 19:52
7. Re: Staying in Bagneux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20