We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Excursion Price worth it?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
35 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Excursion Price worth it?

So on my study abraod program they are planning an excursion to Paris for 575 USD, which is 426 euro. This fee covers:

Round-trip train tickets on the high-speed Eurostar railway service

Coach transfers to the hotel in Paris

2 nights hotel accommodation (with breakfast included)

Guided sightseeing bus tour of Paris

Cruise on the river Seine

Entrance to the Louvre (most visited art museum in the world)

2-day transport pass for an unlimited number of journeys

I was wondering if this is worth the cost, or could I go to Paris by myself for way cheaper?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

Let's take a guess. This tour starts in London? Or somewhere else?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

Where are you traveling from? On the surface this seems expensive.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 23:57
Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

"Round-trip train tickets on the high-speed Eurostar railway service"

From where?

Does the price include flights from Dallas?

You can price up all these things separately yourself by searching for the prices on google.

What you have to consider is whether these are things that you want to do in Paris or would you rather do other things that aren't included in the trip price - Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Sacre Coeur.......

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

It would help to know where you're coming from but I'll assume it's London. If so, a r/t Eurostar ticket when purchased in advance is approximately €85.

Seine cruises can be purchased for less than €10. You may receive free or reduced admission to the Louvre depending on your age and whether you have proof of Euro residency but if not, I think tickets are €11.

There are a variety of tour buses you can do on your own if you feel the need and price would vary depending on if there is audio commentary or an actual guide but would probably be €15+.

So that would leave over €300 for 2 nights hotel with breakfast. You can very easily find a clean, well located hotel (or hostel if you want to save additional cash) for far less than that.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

Hi Stephanie, lucky you to be studying abroad! Good luck and enjoy your stay.

Who is "they", your college or who? Would help to know this. You can look at this two ways:

1) This price would include everything (except food?) and the trip is all prepared for you, all u have to do is be there. Will there be advisors accompanying the group to act as guides for you? You have to decide if the price is worth having everything done for you.

You can easily break down the inclusions in the trip and do-it-yourself for lots less money. If you will be traveling w/ other classmates then you could all do some of the planning.

We just visited Paris for a one day excursion while on a cruise. Because we were so limited for time, I booked a private tour guide that picked us up at the LeHavre port, drove us to Paris, gave us an all day tour, then drove us back to the ship. This was costly due to the distance involved from port to Paris. You can easily get tickets yourself if you wanted to visit the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, and other attractions. Many people use the hop on/off busses in Paris that will show you the attractions, you get off where you want to visit, then re-board the bus when you are done. The metro is easy to navigate also. You could probably find less expensive hotels.

www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/france/paris/

Check out the prices on the above website.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Paris--France

This will give u an idea of what u can do w/ your own planning. Otherwise, you can decide if you want to book the group tour at more money and have it all done for you. Paris is so amazing, we loved our day there. Our trip to top of Eiffel Tower was our favorite part of the day. Amazing views at the top. If you decide to book your own tickets to Eiffel, do so well in advance of your planned stay as tickets go very quickly and you will be disappointed!

tour-eiffel.fr/en/…buying-your-tickets.html

I purchased our tickets online and printed out our tickets - very easy to do.

Good luck.

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
35 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

Sorry for being so vague again! But I am studying abroad in London and "they" is the program I am studying with AIFS. So I will be coming from London. And from the information that AIFS provided we will be paying for our lunch and dinner while in Paris. Also I am 20, and a college student in the States so aren't museums free? Or am I thinking of something else?

Also, thank you so much for telling me about Effiel Tower tickets, I didn't know you needed them!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

You can do better / cheaper by yourself. Just plan in advance for cheaper Eurostar tickets and buy Eiffel Tower tickets online- they go on sale 90 days in advance.

At your age museum entrances are free.

Usually these organized trips stay in hotels way out of city centre. You can be your own travel agent for less.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

It's true that you could organize and do this trip by yourself for less than 420 euro, but on the other hand I think that knowing nothing about Paris, transportation, hotels, etc., could be a bit difficult for a first-time and short visit. Having a 'package' of this kind would give you a peace of mind and more time that you could use to prepare your trip by reading more about Paris, preparing your visit with a guidebook, reading trip reports here on TA, etc, instead of being stressed by having to organize all this by yourself. The price doesn't seem too high at first sight, but it depends also a lot on the hotel - if it's an hostel or a cheap hotel just outside Paris, that would be different.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

Yes, you could probably do it cheaper on your own, but, if you can afford it, it might be more fun going with your fellow students.

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
35 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Excursion Price worth it?

Sigh, I love this website and the people that frequent on it. Thank you guys so much for all of your help.