We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

perth wa
Level Contributor
32 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

We will be in Paris from the 22nd December to 29th December. Whilst trying to book tickets online just now, every single day seems to be booked during that time. Am I right in assuming without etickets we will still get access but will have to queue for very long time?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

Online tickets are limited; some have reported that time slots reopen if you keep checking. Otherwise, you can wait and buy when you get there... lines are not as long as they were a couple years ago when the elevators were rotating closures for maintenance, but I suppose they could still be an hour or so during the day... The added benefit to buying when you get there, especially for winter season, is to wait and see what the weather is like on a given day.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,891 posts
1,773 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

Usually late afternoon/early evening has less lines.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

Keep checking right up until your departure date. Sometimes times open up closer to the actual date.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

I think it's unlikely anything will open up, as people can't return the tickets. But, as others have said, the lines might not be too bad. If you are fit enough to walk up the stairs to the second floor, you can buy tickets there to the top and that line is always much shorter.

New York
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

You can also purchase tour tickets (outside of the Eiffel Tour site) that will get you to the Eiffel Tour...search on this forum because there are a lot of good recommendations.

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
9 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

In my opinion (having most recently visited the Eiffel Tower last month) it's not worth the wait in the queue to take the elevator to the top. Get in a much shorter line to walk up to the first and second levels. It's easy (it took my wife and I, who are in our late 40s, less than ten minutes to ascend to the first level) if you are in any sort of decent physical condition. The views from the first and second level (you walk up from the first to second and the trip is approximately the same as from ground to first) are marvelous. The incremental increase in the distance around Paris that you can see from the tip of the tower is more than offset by the fact that you can see much less of the vicinity of the tower than you can on the first and second levels.

We waited only 30 minutes in line to walk up on a crowded Sunday around noon. We got in line at 11:30, were walking up shortly before noon and then spent two hours up there admiring the view. During our stay we walked by the tower during the evening and the lines were minimal to nonexistent. We, too, had found the online tickets sold out well in advance of our visit. You can still queue for the top if you like and, in fact, you can purchase tickets to the top from the second level after walking up. But seriously, don't waste your time obsessing over whether you can take the elevator to the very top.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

I'm surprised that people are so focused on pre-booking. Are these pre-booked tickets date & time specific?

I ask because I walked close to the Eiffel tower recently and I could only see the bottom third, the top two-thirds being totally invisible, shrouded in dense low cloud or mist. Visibility from the top must have been 50 yards maximum. The cloud/mist was there for at least two hours.

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
9 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

Yes, you can pre-book tickets online for a specific date and time. I don't see the point of doing this for precisely the reason you note: it only makes sense to ascend the tower if visibility is good. And you can't know that until the very day when you want to go. That's why it makes the most sense to stand in line for the tickets to walk up to the first and second levels. Then, if you really want to, you can buy tickets for the very top on the second level and ascend from there.

When we looked in late August for tickets online in early October they were already sold out. Then it occurred to me that buying them in advance makes no sense because of the weather/visibility uncertainty.

After going through this last month my advice to anyone interested in the Eiffel Tower is to be opportunistic... head there on a clear day (or evening) when the crowds are likeliest to be minimal (opening time / lunch / dinner / late night.) As I mentioned above, we wandered over on a Sunday morning when the place was mobbed and yet still managed to get tickets to climb the stairs with only a 30-minute wait.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

Pre-booking caught on big-time a couple of years ago when the elevators were rotating out -of-service for maintenance. Lines at that time were averaging several *hours* so the idea of a timed entry was very attractive. Having an appointment does have the offset of bad weather and summit closures being possible.

I walk and bike for some exercise but can honestly say that I reaaally don't think I could make it up 600+ stairs to the 2nd level, so that option is not one I would consider. (I base this on the truth that 2 flights of stairs at my office building about kill me... climbing is not the same as walking, not for me anyway).

10. Re: Tickets for Eiffel Tour all sold out!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 06:19