We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

french towns and villages . please help

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
french towns and villages . please help

hi

I've been to France many times , but this time I am planning to visit the French countryside , old towns , villages , natural beauty . I made some search but i saw the list was very long . so i'm here to ask the people who saw it and felt it . can you please advise which are the most beautiful French villages and old towns ? I posted the same somewhere and all I got was a long list . I am specifically looking for which are the most recommendable out of the long list the web provides .

thanks in advance

R. G.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: french towns and villages . please help

Are you driving around France or using trains?

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: french towns and villages . please help

That's what I was going to ask.

I had the good fortune to visit the Dordogne region in October. Simply beautiful.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: french towns and villages . please help

It would also help if you gave us an idea of the season of your visit and what sort of things appeal to you. Normandy, Alsace, Provence, Burgundy, etc. are all wonderful, but it is highly unlikely that you are planning a long enough trip to visit every part of France. So you should also tell us how much time you plan to be in France for this trip.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: french towns and villages . please help

One of the reasons you got long lists is because there are so many really nice villages or small towns that it is also very difficult for us to pin point only a few.

The above questions will help. Beside thoses villages you want to visit what are your plan while in France ? Which area are you planning or would you want to visit ?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,173 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: french towns and villages . please help

Belleme and the Perche region.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: french towns and villages . please help

Brantôme, Clairac, Puligny Montrachet, Beaune, Carcassone, Condrieu, Avignon.

The problem is that the list is virtually endless unless you set some parameters. All you can ever get otherwise are a few opinions from a few individuals or a very long list from a guidebook. It is just an unanswerable question.

Good luck.

Wales
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: french towns and villages . please help

Yes -you really do need to narrow down your search.

Even here there thousands of the most beautiful towns and villages are listed.

les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/en/the…

So - where will you start your trip, how far will you want to travel and will you have a car or travel by public transport?

Do you have a particular region in mind?

Perhaps it would help if you were to do a little preliminary research and come back with more questions.

But if you will arrive in Paris and will hire a car but do not want to travel too far I would recommend Le Pays d'Auge , Calvados in Normandie -

But if your visit will be in winter I would have another suggestion so your time of travel needs to also be known.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: french towns and villages . please help

Totally agree with Brittraveller. It's an impossible question. There are thousands of such places. I could name a few hundred villages I've loved in every corner of the Hexagon, many of them not even on those lists, but it wouldn't mean very much and would take time. And we still don't know what your mode of transport is, I don't think. If it's not a car, then loads of places have to come off the lists. Or what time of year you're traveling. Or what you're seeking to do, find, see, experience in such places.

9. Re: french towns and villages . please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 18:14
Edited: 01 December 2013, 18:14
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,389 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: french towns and villages . please help

Sydneynick jested once that you could throw a dart at a map of France and come up with somewhere interesting and lovely. He was severely taken to task for that, but in many cases it is true.

There are several lovely coffee table books called The Most Beautiful Villages of.... (insert name of area) that have stunning photography an show you some of the prettiest places. We used to use them as a guide for planning where we would go. And they are very lovely, though some are geared to tourism and some are almost deserted by day as the people are off to work elsewhere.

It does come back to the questions

# What time of year will you travel

# What mode of transport will you use (you will almost certainly need a car in most places away from Paris)

# What are your interests? Architecture? History? Scenery? Food? Wine? Hiking?

For some ideas of where we have been and the towns and villages, see www.nickbooth.id.au