We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Topic
Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

Hello,

I'd love to get some great chees for a picnic on my upcoming trip to Paris. I've never actually been to a cheese shop during my previous trips so I'm interested in knowing others' opinion:

Do you have a favorite cheese shop? Why? Do they sell only cheese, or anything else that would be great for a picnic?

Could you tell me what day(s) of the week it might be closed in June (sometimes it's hard to find online, or not updated)?

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

Where are you staying, or where will your picnic take place? There's no need to go across the city. There are lots of good cheese shops in the city.

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

Hi!

I will likely stay in Le Marais.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,950 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

Any supermarket will have a wide range of excellent cheeses. There are a number of upmarket food shops at Place de la Madeleine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,800 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

the best cheese shop is the nearest one

cheese shops often sell a few other items like olives -- but mostly cheese -- you go to a bakery for the bread and a greengrocer for the fruit --or to a supermarket for all of it. supermarkets have pretty good selections of cheese but it is rather similar to a US supermarket -- it is a lot more fun to buy cheeses from a cheese store with all their beguiling little cheeses you have never seen before

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,192 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

The best cheese shop, especially for a picnic, isn't a shop at all. It's ---> tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d2…

Pjk

California
Level Contributor
5,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

You may find some fromageries are closed on Monday. They also sell butter!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

There are many good cheese shops in Paris and I agree with Janettravels, the best one is in the neighborhood where I am staying. It's satisfying to buy locally and establish a brief but often special relationship with the owners of the shop. If you will be in the Marais, I would go to these places,

Marche aux Rouges Enfants, lefigaro.fr/sortir-paris/2012/03/02/03013-20…

The market street, rue Montorgueil, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_qTTLvxKM

You are very close to the Marche Bastille, davidlebovitz.com/2006/02/the-sunday-mark/

Paris By Mouth has a great guide to cheese shops, parisbymouth.com/our-guide-to-paris/…

Edited: 01 December 2013, 04:43
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

I reserved Sunday for Le Marais..and starting at Marche Richard Lenoir

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

««the best cheese shop is the nearest one»» I agree with Jane.

I hope you'll actually go to a proper fromagerie and not a supermarket. At a fromagerie you can sample the choices because nothing is shrink wrapped, you'll have a selection of possibly hundreds of cheeses, not just the 4-5 most popular supermarket offerings, and you'll be supporting a struggling trade that can barely afford the taxes and rent in central Paris.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Cheese Shops in Paris?

For a picnic, the rue Lourmel is near the Eiffel Tower. The cheese shop on the street is Laurent Dubois, a master craftsman, with excellent products. Across the street from him is a rotisserie, a deli and a produce stand. He is next to a wineshop and there is a superb Alsatian bakery a few doors down.