We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing accomodation

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Help choosing accomodation

Everyone here was such a great help when we were planning our trip to Paris last summer. I'm hoping you can help again :-). We promised the kids we'd return in 5 years. Well, we decided to travel to London this upcoming summer and we've decided to travel to Paris for three quick nights on our way to Belgium. Yippee!

The thing is, our last trip was our first. We had no idea where to stay. That, combined with having enough points for five free nights at the Westin Vendome, we ended up staying there. After all, you can't beat free. This time is different. And its not just us, we're bringing my mother in law so its three adults and three children ages 6, 8 and 11. I'd consider getting a flat but not when we're only there for 3 nights. That leaves hotels. While I don't want to break the bank, I also don't want hostel type accomodations really. The kids and we could handle that... my mother in law, not so much. So, while luxury isn't necessary, something well... pretty, quaint, not bare bones hostel-like.

I'd prefer to have us all in the same room. That's proving to be hard. Next preference is our family together with mil in her own room on the same floor or connecting. Final preference is to have hubbie and I along with the two youngest in one room with mil and my oldest son in a room next door.

I'd like to find a place near St Germaine, close to Notre Dame area. I've found one in that area and a few in other areas. I'd love your advice on which you'd choose based on location and the hotel itself.

- Excelsior Latin Quarter - 5p confort suite plus single confort room (mil on same floor) 393euros per night

- Hotel Palais Bourbon - 4p room plus 2p room (connecting rooms) - 420euros per night

-Hotel de Buci - 4p room plus double room (mil and son on same floor) - 510 euros per night

- Hotel left Bank - several combos available. 4p room with 2p room (mil and son separate) 520euros per night/ 5p room with 2p single room (mil separate) 630euros per night

- St Severin - two triple rooms near each other 410 euros per night (problem here is that two kids would be separated from us)

- Hotel Marignan - 5p room plus 2p room (because singles don't have showers)(mil separate) I'm also not sure if these are on the same floor. 277euros per night.

I really need help narrowing down. I really like Hotel Left Bank but its really much higher than I'd like to pay (630euros). Can you all help me narrow it down as I haven't actually seen or been in any of these hotels.

Thank you!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,172 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.70*
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,177 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing accomodation

This person had a similar question and settled on the Hotel de Buci ---> tripadvisor.com/…54385357

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,227 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choosing accomodation

I'd definitely suggest 2 rooms - can't imagine 6 people and one bathroom.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing accomodation

Pjk, that's the exact thread that led me to hotel de Buci :-) I'm hesitant to have one of our children in a different room though even though its with his grandmother. I like to keep us together. I was kind of wondering about how far away Excelsior and Bourbon are from where I truly want to be. Do you think its too far out? should we spring for the hotel left bank anyway?

F1racegirl - I agree. If we were all togehter we'd definitely need two bathrooms. Actually, all above are in two rooms... its just a question of configuration. some with just mil in another room and some with mil and one or more of the kids... and one has connecting rooms so I assume that would mean two bathrooms there.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,177 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing accomodation

They are pretty much a wash in terms of location but the Hotel Palais Bourbon is closer to the river and it's nice to walk along the quais to get to the Ile de la Cite. It's especially good if you plan on a visit to the Orsay,

but the Hotel left Bank is just about perfect. I think we stayed there many years ago.

Pjk

Edited: 04 December 2013, 17:47
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing accomodation

Thanks Pjk. We do actually plan to visit the Orsay as we never made it there last time.

Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions as to other hotels in St Germaine area that I could check out to see if they have rooms for 5 or connecting rooms available... thinking close to 500euros per night for both rooms if possible.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,177 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing accomodation

The Millesime, where we stay, has one big suite on the top floor which has rates of 290 to 470 euros. It says this ...

"A genuine family appartment, this 50m² suite at the top of the hotel offers you an incredible view on the “Saint Germain des Prés” Church and the Paris rooftops. Featuring a bedroom and living room, both pleasantly furnished, the Millesime Suite has been designed to allow you to unwind in an extraordinary setting."

But I can't find the number of people it will hold. I'm guessing 4 but you can always contact them. It's just around the corner from the Hotel Left bank.

http://www.millesimehotel.fr/

Pjk

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choosing accomodation

Since you are already familiar with Paris, I feel that you would be happier and would discover much more of 'everyday Paris' if you stayed farther from the center. It would cut your expenses in half, although I know there are plenty of people here who prefer to pay double rather than spend 10 minutes on the metro.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,177 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help choosing accomodation

10 minutes getting to the Metro

10 minutes waiting for the Metro

10 minutes riding the Metro

10 minutes getting off and out of the Metro

4 times a day with the kiddies

Pickpockets

Pjk

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help choosing accomodation

Just so you know, connecting rooms doesn't always mean two bathrooms. Make sure you check on that before booking connecting rooms.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help choosing accomodation

The pickpockets are in the tourist center.

Even at midnight, there is never any time that you wait 10 minutes for the metro. I think there are a few 80 year olds who take perhaps 3 minutes getting off and out of the metro station.

Children absolutely adore taking the metro (more than their parents do).

You have been to a completely different Paris from the one in which I have lived for more than 40 years, Pjk.