We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching and savouring

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
70 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Watching and savouring

Been to Paris a couple of times. Our favourite pastimes are wandering and people watching. Where would you go? Not really museum types.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching and savouring

Depends a bit on the parameters of the trip:

- for how long;

- at what time of the year;

- how many people (and ages);

- are you going to other places outside Paris, which could change the kind of suggestions we could offer i there are better alternatives in said places?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,195 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching and savouring

You could try here ---> tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d143…

Since this review was written it has changed ownership and is now one of the Kiosques Flotant, but the idea is the same. You can sit and sip a drink and watch as people walk along the quai but the most fun is to raise your glass as the big Seine boats go by and see 100 cameras raised to take your photo.

It is only there from early April till sometime in the fall.

Pjk

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching and savouring

Each part of Paris has areas that I think are good for wandering and people watching. Of course, it depends on what you want to watch the people doing. Just walking by? Enjoying some family time together?

Trocadero on the weekend has lots of people, not just tourists, who are out there just to hang out. I do like watching people from all over the world, and Trocadero has that too - can be fascinating. Beneath the Eiffel Tower and on the Champs de Mars has world class people watching.

But I've never been in a garden in Paris where I didn't find the people watching equally good.

And in shops, cafés, cemeteries, walks anywhere at all, you're going to find places to hang out and watch people.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,955 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watching and savouring

I enjoy sitting at a cafe on Rue des Abesses in Montmartre. There are tourists around, of course, but a lot of French being spoken in the cafes. The Place des Voges is good, too.

I avoid the restaurants along the Champs Elysees. It may be good for people-watching, but almost all the restaurants aim at the tourist market, serving indifferent food at high prices.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 01:07
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
70 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watching and savouring

Hi, probably Springtime when it's warm enough to sit outside. Last time we stayed in Montparnasse which was great.

6. Re: Watching and savouring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 05:19