We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

San Diego
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

Hi all- we are planning our trip to Paris in early January and were told that we should make dinner reservations in advance. What are your favorite restaurants in Paris that won't cost an arm and a leg? :-) Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

1. I never make reservations when there are no more than 4 people in my group.

2. We do not mind walking a block or two to another restaurant if ever we are turned away for not having a reservation (extremely rare event).

3. I only go to restaurants that do not cost an arm and a leg -- most of my meals cost no more than 20€ per person.

4. Now it is time for the foodies to tell you their unpleasant rules.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

You'll probably get more responses if you can define what "super expensive" means to you. \

Also, do you prefer to eat in any particular part of town, prefer French traditional, ethnic, French modern...

The more you can narrow it down, the more help you'll get.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,339 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

I'm copying and pasting this from a trip report from this past April. I hope the photos come along

Dinner at another old favorite last night, Aux Vieux Comptoir, 17 Rue des Lavandières Sainte-Opportune 75001, a nice walk across the river from where we are staying in the 6th.

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

We started with os a moelle, bone marrow, which ws served with a escargo and mushrooms in thick, brown sause. We could take a small scoop of the marrow and dip a piece of bread in the sauce and enjoy. We would probably not order just bone marrow itself, but served as it was at this restaurant made it a treat.

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Then I had the beef Bourguinon and my friend had the agnolotti, several small ravioli in a lobster sauce. We could not decide what the filling was and forgot to ask. Mushroom, perhaps? And this shot is fuzzy...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

The highlight of the evening was the wine, a red Sancere. I think of Sancere as a lighter wine, but this was more full-bodied and went well with both the bone marrow and the beef. I don't know if this is the name of the label or the type, but it was Bourgeoise. I want to try to find a bottle to take hhome with me.

And we lingered after dinner with two glasses or a sweet white wine, V Maury BLC..

…shutterfly.com/media/…

A meal like this for two people generally runs approx 100 euros, maybe a little less.

Pjk

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

Like K2 I never book (Christmas eve is the only exception), and I also rarely if ever spend more than 2€0 per head, wine included.

This is one of my favorites …blogspot.fr/2010/02/good-value-in-paris-par…

Edited: 06 December 2013, 18:43
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

20€... stupid edit only once function

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

dinner reservations depend on what kind of place you are looking for and how crowded Paris is at the time you will be there.

If you are looking for a high-end spot (e.g Taillevent, Tour D'argent and the like)you do want a reservation in my opinion. If you are looking for a nice meal in a casual - more formal type restaurant, you can probably find one without making a reservation, just walk around and look at the menus and decide on the spot; most times you will be happy. When we are visiting Paris and happen on a place that we would like to try, we will pop in and make a reservation for that evening or another evening. We usually will not book a place before we get to Paris (exception-high end as above). We do have a few favorites (La Cuisine, T'ante Maerite, Le Square) and will book those once we are in Paris There are more than enough places to try, and most restaurants/bistros will be enjoyable.

jhgrady

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

Janeharriet, clearly you missed the bit in the OP about "not costing an arm and a leg" if you are talking about Taillevent or the Tour d'Argent....

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

I did not recommend those; I was observing that reservations are appropriate for those type of places.

jhgrady

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

Take a look at my trip report i have just posted a couple of ideas in there

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,339 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite restaurants in Paris that aren't super expensive?

Here's another one that will only cost you an arm, one that we try to hit on each visit ---> tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d1…

BTW reservations are a courtesy to the restaurant.

Pjk