We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific Paris/Caen/Normandy Question

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
634 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Specific Paris/Caen/Normandy Question

Instead of doing a bus tour, I have been researching and found that this may be doable on our own. I have read others who simply took the train from Paris to Caen and then a Taxi to the Memorial Museum at Caen, and booked a tour to the D-Day beaches which runs from the museum.

Specific questions are:

1. How far in advance can you purchase train tickets? I just tried to look for mid-March and it won't let me book.

2. Is it a direct train (no change in trains required).

3. What will a taxi run for 2 from station to museum and then return back? and are they readily available outside both the train station and museum?

4. How far in advance can you purchase the D-Day tour at the Museum - currently on line they only show December.

Finally, this actually sounds very easy and doable to me... just wondering if it is as easy as it sounds :)

Thanks!

Foxity Bus Tours
Bus Tours, City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific Paris/Caen/Normandy Question

Answer to Q1 =. Usually, 3 months see …voyages-sncf.com/en/…opening-sales-train

Answer to Q2 = Direct trains. You can get the schedule at www.sncf.cm/en

I rented a car in Caen so I leave it to others to answer the other questions.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific Paris/Caen/Normandy Question

No need to worry much about fares to Caen, although you can indeed save a bit by booking in advance, but not an earthshaking amount. You would almost certainly not be shocked if you paid a walk up fare to go there, which could quite possibly be the best solution if you have the luxury of being in Paris long enough to choose a day with perfect weather.

The Caen Memorial is an important enough site that you would have no problem finding a taxi for the return trip to the station.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,180 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific Paris/Caen/Normandy Question

it only costs 15 Euro each way if you get PREM tickets 3 mos out -- the tickets closer to time are about 35 -- although of course some times of year your odds of getting less expensive tickets are higher -- there are some available in December for 26

4. Re: Specific Paris/Caen/Normandy Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:18