We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

Europe
Level Contributor
113 posts
293 reviews
Save Topic
Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

At Orly airport this weekend my partner was "exporting" a 180g jar of pâté, shop purchased and unopened, to enjoy over Christmas. At the security check she was given two options: 1) go back to check in and put her carry-on bag in the hold or 2) board the plane but without her pâté as it was not allowed on board and would be confiscated.

I don't know which regulation is being used to justify such seisure of innocent goods. The security agent was very apologetic and not looking forward to the Christmas period when many passengers like to take back a bit of typical French gastronomy.

Has any-one else had the same experience?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

Maybe that was because of GLASS jar?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,889 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

It was probably consider to be a *liquid* and was over the limit allowed.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

Paté is a paste (the clue is in the name) :¬)

Pastes are part of the liquids rules. Quite why europe adopted the US liquid rules wholesale I am not sure, but there you go...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

Anything in a jar is considered to be a liquid or paste -- and therefore unacceptable. Even soft cheese is not allowed on board.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,295 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

A glass jar of more than 100ml contenance will be confiscated if not in checked luggage.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

Clear and simple, and applies all over the world. All carry on liquids cannot exceed 100ml and must be carried in a clear plastic bag for inspection by security. Includes liquids, cosmetics, aerosols, make-up etc.

These regulations have been in force since someone tried to detonate a bomb comprised of a liquid in a drinking bottle many years ago now. I am amazed that you and your partner were unaware of these restrictions that apply to all international flights everywhere, and domestic flights in many countries.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

I'm surprised, too, that someone from Madrid would not know about these restriction.

However, it doesn't seem all that long ago when you were allowed to bring nice picnic items on the plane - in lieu of suffering through an airplane meal...

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

I didn't know either!! Thanks to your post I will not waste my money next time. :)

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

what is interesting is make up is allowed (as is deodorant)…like lipstick, eye makeup …and a few other items I was surprised about...

Doral, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Typical French food in unopened jar not allowed on board

I was refused to carry a small wooden 250 gms box of Camembert on board with me at CDG prior to boarding a JFK bound flight, and I still wonder why?