We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Notre Dame Cathedral

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Magherafelt, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Notre Dame Cathedral

My girlfriend and I are heading to Paris in January and I have been reading that there are renovations taking place at Notre Dame Cathedral. Is this true and if so, will be finished by January?

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

We were there in June and nothing was being done then... If there is something going on I would not think it would be a short time project. With that said it it so huge that it will not take away all of its grandeur.

Magherafelt, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

Thanks for the reply. Thats what im thinking that a project of that size would last for quite awhile. It`s my girlfriends first time in Paris and she really wants to see the Cathedral so Im hoping there is nothing going on, so she can see in its full glory

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,593 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

There are often renovations going on at Notre Dame.. more like restorations really.. sometimes parts are closed off.. but they don't usually impact a persons visit.. I was there when they were doing something on one side, it was external work, and I don't think most people even noticed it. I don't think your visit will be impacted in any major way regardless of what they are doing.

Notre Dame has a website, ( yes, a website) so you can easily keep up todate on any closures that may affect you.. but I wouldn't worry about it really.,

www.notredamedeparis.fr/-English-

4. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 14:24
Magherafelt, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

Thanks for the reply`s folks i`v been on the Notre Dame website but no word of anything on there. I`ll have to check out the monument nation one and see what it says.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,654 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

Where have you been reading that there are works going on?

with a building of that age I'm sure that there's always some sort of work going on. But as mentioned above it shouldn't affect your visit.

Magherafelt, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

I saw it on some of the reviews on here

Durban...
Level Contributor
64 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

Hi we were there on the 22nd of November. There was a scaffolding on the one side (entrance). But it didn't really affect us or any visitors at all.

Magherafelt, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

Thank you Michelle

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Notre Dame Cathedral

You may have read about the large structure that was built in front of Notre Dame for her 850th birthday (I think that's the right number) and which allowed visitors to climb up and view the facade at eye level (it was very popular). I don't think it's still there, but many complained that it obstructed the front view of Notre Dame.

A little bit of scaffolding on that very large building won't affect most people's perspective on it - it is awe-inspiring inside and out.