We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments in Le Marais 4th

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Apartments in Le Marais 4th

Hi All,

We initially chose to rent an apartment in the 6th for our trip in late April 2014, but have now decided on Le Marais, in the 4th (wanted more lively and less "stuffy"). I have found 2 apartments. Would you all tell me which apartment you would choose, of the two, and why (price not being a factor in either)? They are both through Weekome.com. Also, if any of you have rented either of these apartments, would you tell me about your experience (they each only have 1 review and we'd like to see more)? The first apt is near Rue du Forez and the last one is near Rue Charlot. Thanks for any help provided.

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g187147…

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g187147…

Finland
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

I have only experience about choosing my first apartment in P, not seen it yet, so I am still eager to give my advice...

Anyway, for me the main difference between these 2 is the floor level: 1st/ 3rd without elevator. (1st floor = to climb one flight of stairs from ground; 3rd = 3 flights))

I can image the only pro for the upper one is less noise from the street. Maybe you could ask the owner about the direction of the bedroom? Or if the street is busy at night.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,956 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

Here's a previous thread about Weekome: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k52402…

Based on the lack of reviews I'd keep looking. There are plenty of other vacation apartments in Paris offered by agencies with good reputations.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,981 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

While there's only one review each, the reviews seem genuine. Very good prices on both. I read the first page of the Weekome thread linked above and it doesn't sound like a bad agency (didn't read the second page though).

It looks to me as if these apartments are priced very well, probably because very few reviews. As places get more reviews, their calendars fill up and their prices go up...

The first apartment allows a minimum stay of 2 days (which is unusual) so if you're looking for a very short term rental, that's a factor as well.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

"have now decided on Le Marais, in the 4th (wanted more lively and less "stuffy"). "

Well, the first thing to say is that both these apartments are in the 3rd, not the 4th. However, there is nothing "stuffy" about the 3rd, and I find it more attractive as a part of Paris than the more "touristy" 4th. (But my apartment is in the 3rd, so I'm biased!)

The first one, probably at 6 rue du Forez (which is the building shown on the site), will have about 60 steps to reach the 3rd floor. The double bed is a sofa bed in the living room, with only a single bed in the bedroom. The sofa bed looks to me like a budget model and might not be too comfortable.

The sceond one is "near" rue Charlot, but the building shown on the site is 15 rue de Picardie. The apartment looks more comfortable, but as far as I can see it's really a studio. The site says that "A bed is in the living room closet", meaning I guess that *the* bed folds down from the wall. In other words, there is no separate bedroom. (All the above comments are what I deduce from the descriptions and photos.)

The apartments are very close to each other. Both streets are quiet with little through traffic. There are a number of restaurants and bars nearby, so there may be some noise in the evenings, but it's a civilised area in my experience. Excellent shopping area for food, close to Marché des Enfants Rouges and rue de Bretagne.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

Both apartments seem to be laid out fairly well.

I like the first one. 34 sq. meters should be comfortable assuming there are 2 in your party. I'd want to see pictures of the kitchen. When something like that is omitted it could mean there's an issue. 3rd floor with no elevator means 50-60 steps, so be sure you're comfortable with that. There's no washer, if that's a factor for you.

The 2nd one is laid out well but I just find it to be very stark. No pictures on the walls, and everything is black and white. It's 26 sq. meters so smaller than the other. It has a murphy bed. The review says it's comfortable but it wouldn't be my preference. It has a washer, which the first one doesn't.

I think both are priced fairly for what they offer.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

RichardRFC, when I said "stuffy", I was referring to the 6th.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

RichardRFC, when I said "stuffy", I was referring to the 6th.

My husband and I are in our late 30s-early 40s, so climbing stairs isn't a big deal. We'll be staying 7 nights, so that should satisfy any minimum stay issues. We've never slept on a murphy bed, so I am wondering about the comfort level. Don't care about separate bedroom, since it's just the 2 of us.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

>>>>The double bed is a sofa bed in the living room, with only a single bed in the bedroom<<<<

The description on the Weekome website says the bed in the bedroom is for 2 people.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,813 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

I would pick 6th.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartments in Le Marais 4th

Regarding the noise issue - both these streets are incredibly noisy at night and on weekends. Neighbors have petitioned the city to intervene. Just so you know.

As far as Murphy beds - some of them are quite comfortable - much more so than a fold-out couch. It just depends on the mattress, which you should be able to see in photos.

I would keep looking.