We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help please

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
need help please

Hi all

I’ve been planning a trip to France . the main target was to make a road trip in June 2014 to see the French villages . I previously posted something in this regards and I got excellent advice . My final decision was to hit it two together , villages and some cities in between . here’s my itinerary . I would be grateful if I get advice and comments .

Day 1 : arrival to Strasbourg at 12 noon . rest for the day and a short tour in the old city .

Any recommendation of a nice hotel ? which area is recommendable ? our budget is medium .

Day 2 : visiting the cathedral , the Rohan Palace , the opera , a walk along the river until La petite france .

Day 3 : day trip to Riquewihr and Kaysersberg .

Day 4 : half day trip to Eguisheim . then ride to Noyers . stay in Noyers . any recommendable hotel ? I am worried that there might not be any hotels in Noyers . so any nearby places recommendation ?

Day 5 : a ride in Burgundy , through Loiret passing by Aprement – sur - Allier until Gargilesse – Dampierre then Angles- sur- l’anglin . any recommended hotel ?

Day 6 : Poitiers full day .

Day 7 : to Rochefort –en- terre then to Locronan . any recommended hotels ?

Day 8 : La Rochelle full day .

Day 9 : Brantome , then Collonges- la- Rouge then Autoire . any recommended hotels ?

Day 10 : Domme , La Roque- Gageac , Beynac- et- Cazenac . all in Dordogne area . any recommended hotels ? where exactly ?

Day 11 . St Cirque - Lapopie . from there we will go to Nice . what is the easiest way ? is it by train ? how long does the trip take ? is there any other option ?

Day 12 , 13 , 14 : Nice , Cannes , St Tropez , Monte Carlo .

Is this itinerary good enough ? are there any villages which are not worth to visit ? I mean definitely these villages are beautiful , but I am worried some villages are almost alike .

Appreciate your assistance . looking forward to see some advice .

R.G.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help please

A frightening schedule. You are taking-on too much with no respite between goals. Most of the places you've listed require driving long distances between them and the narrow roads aren't always clear and unobstructed. In the south particularly, you may find that a planned one-hour journey becomes a three hour journey because of unforeseen road conditions. Then there's the fact that there are a million things you'll want to stop and experience along the way.

If you cut your list in half, you'd still be harried and weary early-on. Way too much to actually experience.

Drop the riviera entirely; concentrate on a region like the Dordogne and take the time to drink it in, and plan some time into the schedule to discover and hover.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help please

Starting with Day 5, this itinerary gets VERY hectic, to the point you will not be able to get to all the places you've listed. You really aren't accounting for travel time between place. Just one example: you will not be able to get from La Rochelle to Brantôme, Collonges-la-Rouge, and Autoire in a single day - no way. Even if you use autoroutes to zoom from one place to another, this won't be possible (and racing around on autoroutes kind of defeats the purpose of a trip focused on visiting villages. I think you've bitten off way too much after you depart from Alsace.

Happy to recommend hotels in the Dordogne area, but need to know specifics - about how many euros per night?

Getting by train from St-Cirq-Lapopie to Nice will be challenging. Your best bet would be to drive to Toulouse,, drop the car there, and catch a train to Nice from there.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help please

Yes, you need to remove quite a bit from the schedule and maybe just rely on... serendipity for a lot of what you do...?

Edited: 15 December 2013, 20:40
Montreal
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help please

I agree with the others that there are way too many things in your planning.

Not even counting the fact that if you decide on doing mostly highways, you will pay a fortune in toll.

To be able to enjoy more your trip if I were you I would avoid going to remote places like Locronan for juste one night. It's going very far for so little time. You have hundred of wonderful possibilities in between. If you want to see Brittany... then allow yourself to stay in the area at least 3 or 4 nights.

In which area do you really want to go ?

Just an example. If I were you on day 4. I would do Eguishem and Colmar. And leave early on day 5 to head towards Burgundy. It allows you more flexibility.

Because with your current planning. You will arrive late in Noyers on Day 4 and you want to finish your Day 5 in Angles-sur-Anglin and hope to see Burgundy in so little time ? The question is... are you interested in Burgundy or not ?

I think you need to chose what you really want to see first. Then the things that would be nice for you to see if you have time. And start your itinerary from there. If you don't already have it... www.viamichelin.com is pretty good in helping planning a trip like yours.

Start with that and we'll help you out for the rest :-)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help please

Hi metromole . Actually I relied on the web distance calculations to know the driving distance between each of the destinations . are they reliable ?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help please

thank you St Cirque . well as I said , I relied on websites to calculate the distances and times . for example :

la Rochelle - brantome : 2 hrs 35 minutes . then to Collonges- la- Rouge it's a 1 hr 40 minutes . then to autoire it's 40 minutes . are these accurate ? or at least close to the reality ? if so , I have no troubles in driving long distances . sometimes I used to drive a round trip of 450 kilometers (total 900 km) in one day .

well actually I want to see as much as I can in one trip .

as to hotels , medium budget . 100 euros max per night .

are there high speed trains from Toulouse to Nice ? how long it takes ?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help please

hi again Kerouac . what do you suggest to delete ? i know for ex\ample that Locronan and Rochefort - en - terre are far away from the rest , and by skipping it i would gain much more time . but actually when i saw the photos , and made my search , locronan looked exquisite for me . i see there's no trouble in Strasbourg and the neighbring Alsace villages . As tot he rest of the plan , what do you recommend to skip ? the issue is that i realized that not all the villages are the same or of the same spirit . no way to compare Dordogne villages to Collonges- la- Rouge , and no way to compare Angles sur l'anglin to Autoire . out of the whole list i posted , are there any repetitive villages ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,013 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help please

You can get driving directions, fairly realistic times, and estimated costs (fuel and tolls) from www.viamichelin.com

Google Maps has hopelessly optimistic estimates of driving times.

The fastest train from Toulouse to Nice takes 6h43. The walk-up price is €80, or as little as €20 if bought well in advance.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need help please

Hi plannerHaolic . what do you recommend in Brittany ? any advisable places to stay there ? i would prefer so .

as to day 4 , i made a search on Colmar . actually i don't want to repeat myself too much . eguisheim , kaysersberg and riqurwihr have the same spirit . adding another to the list would not be an extra gain . taking your point into consideration , i may spend the rest for the day and night in Strasbourg and start early next morning .

well burgundy sounds nice to me . but the question is , if i skip it , what is the replacement to make sure my route is simple and easy ?

thanks a lot for your reply .

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need help please

hi sidneynick . well it's a long train trip . i hate trains . maybe i have to consider a flight .

Edited: 16 December 2013, 06:31