We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

Level Contributor
8 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

Like many others who've done so before me, I was hoping the TripAdvisor community could share their thoughts on the best areas to stay in Paris. If you can recommend a hotel as well it would be much appreciated.

I'll be in Paris for about a week in April and I'd like to stay somewhere that's central and close to all of the major sites, without being too sterile. Ideally I'd like to be close to lots of cafes and restaurants (which I dare say would be nearly everywhere) but isn't too noisy at night. Don't mind street noise, just no loud music/drunk people stumbling out of clubs.

I realise I'm asking for a lot, but I thought the more specific I am the better responses I'll get.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
504 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,185 Reviews
from US$108.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
790 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
630 Reviews
from US$73.80*
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

Actually, your "requirements" are quite vague and broad.

Except, perhaps, for the Champs Elysees and the areas surrounding most of the swanky hotels, no areas of Paris are "sterile".

For hotel recommendations, you need to provide an approximate preferred rate, along with the number of people.

There is no place "close to all the major sites", as they are spread out all over the city.

And, of course, there are cafes and restaurants all over...and, obviously, the less "sterile" and more lively the area, the more likely "noisy at night".

"Best" is always highly personal and "central" tends to be more costly (for everything) and "noisy".

With the magnificent, easy to use, economical, transit system, most will tell you that it's just not worthwhile to obsess over the "best" area to stay, as there are just so many.

In April (any time, actually), I prefer to be just outside "tourist central" where bus routes to all over are nearby. Last April, we just loved riding all about on the buses viewing the blooming bulbs and flowering trees in bloom all over.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

Well, even being that specific doesn't narrow it down to more than about 10 arrondissements,. Nothing is close to all the major sites because Paris was built up over centuries with absolutely no regard to what modern-day tourists might want to see, so you have to walk or take the métro or buses to get around the city. Most people suggest staying in the one-digit arrondissements for a first visit, and I guess I'd agree, though I like the outlying ones better now.

You're not asking for a lot. You're asking for a typical Parisian experiencethat can be found most anywhere in Paris. Just learn your way around the city: www.ratp.fr and www.parisbytrain.com

Level Contributor
8 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

djkbooks - While I'd like to thank you for reply I didn't find it useful at all.

My requirements may seem quite vague and broad to someone who obviously knows Paris quite well, but for someone who's never been there I don't how much more I could tell you about what I'd like to experience. If you were coming to Sydney and gave me the requirements I posted I could suggest half a dozen places.

And, while my choice of words was quite simple, I think replying with quotation marks around every word is a little patronising.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,519 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

Well I disagree with people who say there is no central area for first time tourists( repeat visitors like will spread out and extend their list of must sees, ) who want to be close to sights.. Yes.. there are sights that are a little more out of the way ( Sacre Couer for example) .. but I am a middle aged woman who enjoys walking and I can and do walk to many sites when I stay in the 1st( close to river) or the 5th or 6th. I consider the 1st pretty low down on my favorite areas list though, but think the 4th , 5th or 6th are fairly central .

Its not unusual for those staying in those areas.. if nearer rather then farther from the river,, to be within walking distance of Notre Dame, Rodin , Orsay, Cluny, and Louvre Museums, St Chapelle, the Tuilleries and Luxembourg Gardens , etc etc.. OF course one can take buses or metro to save feet, but just saying those sites are clustered near the Seine within 20-30 walking distance at most.

Now, one thing you didn't specify but is needed is your budget in euros per night. I can suggest a few hotels I like, but none of them would be considered very posh.. well one was quite nice.. but most are clean, well run, well located budget to moderate hotels.

Edited: 19 December 2013, 07:04
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

<< I think replying with quotation marks around every word is a little patronising.>>

Really? Why?

I would mentioned that, even if you stay within a reasonable walk of the Louvre, for example, most would advise riding there, versus walking, to conserve your energy as, once there, miles and miles of hallways and exhibition rooms, so you not want to be tired from walking on arrival.

Paris is a very large city and, while you may be able to stay close to one or a few major sites, it's just not possible to be close to "all of the major sites" and, also, much depends on those "major" to you in particular.

Paris is a very walkable city and you can cover much on foot, again, keeping in mind that many venues require much walking once there (the larger museums, gigantic parks, etc.).

And, there is an abundance of resources - Google, there's an article describing all the neighborhoods here on TA, each and every printed tour guide provides details of the various neighborhoods with what's within and nearby.

You could also browse this forum for

a) the responses to the many others who have inquired previously

b) the abundance of trip reports detailing where they stayed and getting around to all their destinations during their visit.

And, actually, there is no "useful answer" to the best place to stay "close to all the major sites".

As mentioned, much depends on your budget and the number of people, which you still have not disclosed.

For a stay of a week, an apartment may be far preferable to a hotel, for a multitude of good reason.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

I am from Paris. I suggest that you find a hotel in “Saint-Michel area” (in the 5th arrondissement of Paris), also called “le quartier latin”. It is a quite central area and it is really convenient to visit some majors attractions of Paris. Indeed, you are not far from great places like la Cathédrale Notre-Dame, l’Ile de la Cité, la Sainte-Chapelle, le Pantheon, Saint-Germain des Près, le Jardin du Luxembourg, l’Université la Sorbonne…

And you have very convenient transport lines at the Saint-Michel-Notre-Dame station, like the line “C” of the RER (suburbs express trains). The line C will brings you to the Versailles Castle (at Versailles Chateau – Rive gauche station), the Musée d’Orsay, the Tour Eiffel (Champ de Mars – Tour Eiffel station), les Invalides, etc.

It is also convenient because the line “B” of the RER goes from Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport to Saint-Michel.

Saint Michel is a great, noble and historical place with a lot of café, restaurants (be aware that some of them are awfully touristy) and shops.

Of course, hotels are more expensive in this area. But I think it is a good investment.

You will find need more details, here :

If you have more questions, just ask. I will try to help you. And sorry for my poor English.

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
90 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

Hi. We're currently staying in a lovely flat a block and 1/2 for the Arc, on Ave. de Friedland. We are very pleased with the location as the Metro (Charles de Gaulle Etoile) is steps away providing easy access to the Louvre and Eiffel Tower (although it's a lovely stroll down to the Tower too). There are shops and restaurants nearby, the Champs Élysées is one "spoke" over, but our street seems to be quiet at night, perhaps because the flat is not right on the street.

My best advice is to avoid doing what I did - try not to obsess over it. You'll make yourself crazy. I suggest that you figure out how much you're will spend, and do some searches on that basis. You'll then be able to start refining what seems appealing to you. Google maps street view helped me to get a sense of the area before I booked. I agree with the other posters who said an apartment is preferable for a weeks stay, but everyone is different. Enjoy the planning - you'll love Paris!

Charlottetown, PEI...
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

Hotel Diana, not posh, but a nice, very clean, well run two star hotel on Rue St. Jacques right across from the Sorbonne in the 5th district. Double with ensuite costs 120 euros. We find the location perfect for us for restaurants and walking to various sights. There are metro stops within 10 minutes walking. Very quiet area in the evening.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

I don't think I saw your budget mentioned anywhere - that would help a lot, since some arrondissements tend to be pricier than others.

Friends have stayed at these hotels, and liked them for the reasons you stated:

On rue Jacob, in the 6th - www.hoteldesmarronniers.com

On rue Malher, in the 4th - www.legrandhotelmalher.com

Level Contributor
7,141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What area of Paris is the best to stay in?

I don't know your budget, but here are a few more hotel suggestions that are central, quiet and have restaurants and cafes nearby:

Hotel Minerve www.parishotelminerve.com‎ or the nextdoor Hotel Familia

Hotel Notre Dame http://www.hotel-notredame-charmeparis.com/

Hotel Melia Colbert melia.com/fr/…index.html

Hotel d'Aubusson www.hoteldaubusson.com‎

Hotel Relais Christine www.relais-christine.com‎

Hotel Millesime www.millesimehotel.com‎

Some streets to avoid staying on in these areas: Rue de la Hauchette, Rue de la Harpe. For a quieter nights sleep in nearly any hotel, ask for a room on a courtyard rather than facing the street, or a street view room on a higher floor. Once you've narrowed down your hotel choices, you can do a virtual walk in the area on Google Maps (drag the little yellow man onto the map) and check for bars and other noisy establishments next door or across the street, and also proximity to cafes, etc.