We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

Brisbane
Level Contributor
127 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

Hi,

We are currently staying in the latin quarter, and would like to buy a half leg of ham for christmas. Any recommendations close by, or have we left it too late?

Also looking to buy an inexpensive suitcase before 10/1 for our return trip home- will needto pack all our purchases!

Many thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

For inexpensive suitcases, look for "Rayon d'Or" shops - closest one to you would probably be 116 rue de Rennes,

Did you want a ham to cook yourself, or have the butcher do it in the rotisserie? Most butchers carry various chunks of pork - shanks, shoulder, neck, breast...but it's not smoked, and is just like pork roast. Except for small pieces - "petit sale", "jarret", etc - I don't think I've seen a big ham sold, except by the slice.

Anyway, if you want a a roast, go have a look at the nearest butcher. If you want him to cook it for you, order now. Butchers will not be open the 25th.

PS - you can get a nice leg of lamb, though...

Edited: 21 December 2013, 14:59
Brisbane
Level Contributor
127 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

We are staying in an apartment, so I can cook a roast myself. Had originally been thinking of a smoked ham as that is what we traditionally have in Australia, but happy to try new things as this is all part of the holiday fun. I am having difficulty with the cuts of meat and the local butcher doesn't speak english, but does have delicious meats. I just point and smile with plenty of sil vous plait and merci!

Thanks for the suit case shop also

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,748 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

when we have done Christmas or New Year in Paris some of the things we have found and cooked include:

a boned duck, stuffed with pate and trussed up ready to roast; a pork roast larded with dried apricots, prunes and figs (really pretty sliced as the fruit is larded throughout the center of the meat) and lamb roast (because I love roast lamb). time to scope out butchers and find one with interesting holiday specialties.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

I was worried that you might want the suitcase to carry the leg of ham back to Oz!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

Exactly! When we left Lanjaron Spain, 40 tourists from Madrid boarded our bus, each with at least one large ham, foot and all, tagged and placed in the luggage hold.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

Cheap suitcases can be found at Porte de Clignancourt (in the direction of the flea market) and also around Barbès-Rochechouart.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

Your butcher will have a printed list of specialties he is offering for the holidays. You can take it back to your flat and google translate most of it to know what he's offering. When you pick it up bring a pen and paper marked temps de cuisson and temperature de cuisson, and asking him to complete fill it in. Temps is cooking time, temperature is temperature. You should order it tomorrow if possilble.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

PVMW, my mouth waters as those legs must have been Jamon Iberico de Bellota, from the pigs fed solely on acorns. Hence the black foot to prove their pedigree. These are the most delicious hams, the meat melt like butter in your mouth. Well worth packing into a suitcase.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 00:10
Brisbane
Level Contributor
127 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

Thanks everyone. The ham in the suitcase is funny. I don't think customs in Oz would pass it! Where did you get your ham Pwmw? Thanks phread for the tip about the butcher. Will drop in this morning. Thanks kerouac for suitcase shops

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wanting to buy half leg ham & cheap suitcase

Just as a matter of interest to the people who live in Paris, what is the traditional Christmas dinner in Paris? here in England, generally it is turkey, sprouts, roast potatoes and parsnips, followed by Christmas pudding or sherry trifle.

. I was going to suggest, "when in Rome ,... or rather Paris"!

Love Denise

Edited: 22 December 2013, 11:54