We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

Hi Paris Lovers!!!

I am going to be in Paris Sunday and Monday and for a couple hours Tuesday morning 12/29 - 12/31 and I would like to find some uniquely Parisian, beautiful items to furnish my groundbreaking new immersion wellness center in NYC. I must have been French in a previous life because I am so drawn the the splash of hot pink, fresh flowers, gold trip, elegant window treatments, quaint chairs, mirrored desks and chandeliers. I want my center to feel like a sophisticated Paris apartment, not a wellness center, and I want to find some items to use in my interior design while I'm there. I would love antiques (as long as it holds good energy), lighting, fabrics, anything really - as long as I can either ship it reasonably or bring it back in my luggage. Anyone have any thoughts on good places to roam and browse?

Merci beaucoup to all of you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,693 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

What is your particular "period"? Hot pink and mirrored desks sort of throw me off the Versailles theme, more like Hollywood?

Edited: 22 December 2013, 00:06
New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

Funny, I was thinking Versailles, but I also want it to be liveable and comfortable. Not overly opulent. I love pops of color and life and brightness. Not going for modern. Perhaps Hollywood - ya.

This stuff feels right: betterdecoratingbible.com/2011/…

Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

At least now I know what "gold trip" is.

Accumulating this kind of stuff takes time. Would be difficult to find much in a "couple of hours".

I think Marche aux Puces would be your best bet - but not on a Tuesday morning since they will be closed then. www.marcheauxpuces-saintouen.com

New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

Hi there! Oh - that's funny. I meant gold trim, not trip! I have two and a half days in Paris. The couple hours are on Tuesday, my last day there. I will look at the market. I've never actually been in all my times there.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

Marché Biron at St Ouen flea market, although for a wellness crr w/French flair, you'd want forget-me-not blue. Better energy and more aitherntic to epoque decor.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,693 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

Ah, "neo-baroque?"

New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

Hi Phread,

Thanks for the guidance. I will check out the market and love the forget-me-not blue! Is perfect.

New York
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

WeQueen - I suppose that sounds about right neo-baroque.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

I agree that it's Saint Ouen that you want and you must maximize your time there on Sunday and Monday. Two days is really a short time to even begin to see, buy and negotiate shipment for things.

Another area to shop in, perhaps less expensive, and containing more packable, smaller, lighter things (frames, prints, etc) is the Saint Andre des Arts area of Saint Germaine.

And near the Seine, in front of the old Samaritaine Department Store there are some furniture stores IIRC, with good displays that inspire. Just google map it near Pont Neuf. There are maybe three larger stores (but beware, there are a lot of pet stores in that area...hard to resist...)

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Interior design pieces to bring back to NYC

The decoration in the link you gave has nothing to do whatsoever with Marie-Antoinette style...French Regency was a style popular when Louis XV--grandfather of Louis XVI (the husband of M.A.) was a child.

Can't visualize at all a wellness center in neo-baroque...it would be stuffy and uncomfortable...