We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Paris

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Paris

Hubs and I are doing a cruise next Aug ('14), planning on flying or taking the train from London after the cruise to Paris for a weekend. I am looking for a good place to stay, not overly expensive near the Eiffel tower any suggestions would be great. Looking for modern amenities, must be clean..up to $200-300 US/night?

Somewhat of a foodie, would also love restaurant recommendations for an outstanding dining experience.

As far as the Eiffel tower and Louvre...advanced tickets a possibility and recommended?

Thank you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Paris

Have you ever visited Paris before? The reason I ask is that the Eiffel Tower isn't particularly central for such a short visit. If you've been before and particularly enjoy the area, then fine. Have a look at the Eiffel Duquesne if you're intent on staying in the area.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Paris

I must agree with HappyGoin -- unless you are fanaticized by the idea of being next to the Eiffel Tower (some people are, and that's fine), there are more central areas to stay in Paris.

The Hôtel Britannique next to Place du Châtelet would be, for example, about the most central place that you could possibly stay in the city, and it is indeed convenient to many places that you might want to visit.

This said, quite a few people love the Champs Elysées area, Montmartre, or the Latin Quarter. And I am very well known for suggesting more outlying areas (even for first time visitors) because they allow you to see 'real residential Paris' and get an idea of what 'normal' prices are, while the excellent public transportation will whisk you anywhere else within a few minutes to see 'tourist Paris' and experience 'tourist prices.'

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Paris

No, first time in Paris, but would like to be able to walk to things. The tower and the louvre are on the list. Any other places please suggestions are welcome, would like to walk or cab it. Residential areas not necessary really. Idk it's a short time in th city so don't want to spend to much time traveling to and fro...

Edited: 25 December 2013, 19:23
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Paris

<<would like to walk or cab it>>

Are you allergic to public transportation, which is the best way to travel around the city?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Paris

No, just prefer the exercise. I'm ok with subways, buses etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Paris

I like K2's suggestion of the Hotel Britainique, or also you might look at the Henri IV on the r. St. Jacques. Can't get much more central than one of these two, and you can walk to many places you'll want to visit. Even the Eiffel Tower would be a nice walk along the river, if you enjoy walking as much as you say you do.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Paris

Thanks, ill take a look at it. Any ideas for restaurants, should I buy advance tickets?

Anyone have any thoughts on these hotels?

Relais de halles

Relais bosquet

Eiffel trocadero

Mecure Paris centre tour Eiffel

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Paris

If you want to be near the Eiffel Tower, you should do that.

Hotel Relais Bosquet is terrific - close to the Eiffel Tower and also close to Bus 69 which will take you to the Louvre. The neighborhood is chock full of appealing restaurants and cafes.

With only a weekend, you'll be limited as to how much you can get around to...and you can easily get anywhere by metro or bus.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in Paris

Thank you dj, we stayed at a relais in Rome and I liked it. The two in Paris had good reviews. Friday though Monday most likely... Thanks for the info. I'd love to do a great restaurant possibly Michelin star

Paris
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend in Paris

As for the restaurants, if you don't mind spending a bit more, I would recommend Jean (http://www.restaurantjean.fr/) or Qui plume la lune (https:/…), which is in an absolutely magical small haute cuisine restaurant.