We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with 10 to 16 year old kids in Paris- 1-4 Jan

Cape Town Central...
4 posts
Save Topic
What to do with 10 to 16 year old kids in Paris- 1-4 Jan

We will be in Paris from 1 to 4 January. We are 2 adults with 2 teenage boys and a 10 year old girl. Any advice on things to do? I want them to have a great experience.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with 10 to 16 year old kids in Paris- 1-4 Jan

I have taken my then 11 yr old daughter and my then 13 yr old son to Paris.. There is tons to do.. kids those age enjoy seeing most sites.. Eiffel Tower.. Arc De Triomphe( go to top for views) , Sacre Couer( climb tower) and Notre Dame ( especially climbing the Towers) .. and of my son enjoyed visiting the Catacombs as it was unique,, my dd chose not to do this acitivity. I took my kids alone on one on one trips so I could cater to their individual tastes.

My son loved the Louvre (asked for return visit) but don't just drag your kids thru there willy nilly.. pre plan a bit really helps, my son loved the Medieval Louvre( basement, exsposed ruins of the old moat walls) and both kids enjoyed visiting Napoleons Apartments. I have a few favorite paintings ( neither is the Mona ) and I shared those with them.. Both kids enjoyed the Egyptian section.

My daugher preferred the Orsay she loved some of the sculptures.. although even my son liked seeing the decorative furniture section,, none of us spent much time seeing the Imrpessionists.. not our fave , but many seem to like that.

There is also The Sewage Tour. and some of the historical walks seem very interesting.

All my kids ( I have a third son who went with his dad at 14) loved the Invalids Army Museum and I highly recommend it .. even or those who are not museum people. Never crowded.. and interesting stuff.old armour ( including horse armour) swords, battle axes , jousting poles, muskets, all the way up through to 20th century weapons.. ( also Samurai stuff my sons thought was cool)

I think they will have a great time if you try not to rush about too much.. buy hot chocolate and sit in cafes every day.. and take museums bit by bit.. not rushing through.. them.. stay an hour or two and then just leave.. but talk about what you are seeing. Also rent audio guides in museums. its way helpful. Most of us don't care about a painting we know nothing about.. it helps to get a bit of information.

One museum a day .

One hot coco a day.

Lots of Tower climbing.

Lots of walking about doing not much.

My sons hate shopping and so do I so we only cruised up Rue Du Rivoli and picked up some souvenirs .. but my dd liked poking into some shops.. I suffered with her and did a bit.. she had her own money to blow.

AND FINALLY.. all three of my kids were REQUIRED to do some research.. even the 11 yr old knew how to google "things to do in Paris" and they each had to submit a list of three sites they wanted to see. Thats how I found out about the Catacombs.. been to Paris many many times and had never been or heard about them till my 13 yr old found out about them.

Make the kids contribute to the sucess of the trip.. you are paying for a great vacation for them, they can and should put in a little sweat equity .. and be part of the planning, then they can't complain if they planned part of the activiites. The deal is you do what they want ( their list) and don't complain and they do what you want and don't complain)

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with 10 to 16 year old kids in Paris- 1-4 Jan

http://www.worldtoptop.com/cite-des-sciences/

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with 10 to 16 year old kids in Paris- 1-4 Jan

Are your kids on the computer? Have them do some basic research on Paris. Have them pick one or two things that they want to do. They are old enough to do this. Since you want them to have a "great expeirence" they should be helping to decide what that is. Right

California
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with 10 to 16 year old kids in Paris- 1-4 Jan

For something unique that's open during your visit, check out the Musee des Arts Forains http://arts-forains.com/

It's magical during this special opening after Christmas.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
875 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with 10 to 16 year old kids in Paris- 1-4 Jan

There is a scavenger hunt at the Louvre which a company called ThatLou arranges. I haven't tried it yet (we are signed up for it when we go in August). However, it gets rave reviews here at TA and other sites. Here's the link if you are interested - www.thatlou.com.

6. Re: What to do with 10 to 16 year old kids in Paris- 1-4 Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 06:18