We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
804 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

1. I read recently that line 14 is interesting if one is into trains. Could someone reccomend a stop on line 14 that has nice shops, and good places for lunch. I don't care if it is not in the center of the city.

2.Later in the day we will be going to the Marais. What metro stop would it be best to get off at in order to be in the center where there is good shopping and interesting streets?(I am not looking for shops like Prada and Louis Vitton, but more mom and pop type stores)

3.If anyone could recommend a good place for lunch in the Marais(prefer it to be not be overrun by tourists) that would be great. I also would rather it not cost more than 80Euros for two for lunch.

4.I have spent 4 days in the city, and tomorrow I would like to visit its outskirts. I was thinking of Montmartre just to get a different feel for the city. Does that make sense or does anyone have any other suggestions. Many thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,109 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

No K2 -- it is now the much more interesting boutique haven -- where stunning old bakeries are now cheesy gift shops and beautiful old cheese shops are now cheesy but not in a good cheese way purse boutiques and old wine warehouses are now cheesy tourist cafes. Yeah progress. In just the last 10 years, the number of butcher shops, cheese stores and bakeries that have been converted to trashy boutiques is a sad reminder that soon we will have a Starbucks on every corner like in the US. Every time I find a particularly charming old bakery, I can assume the next time we visit it will have been sold for 'development.'

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

Ah yes, life goes on. Now you can go back and churn some butter or feed the hogs so that your supermarket will go out of business, be torn down and turn into a farm where your children will be delighted to become farmhands.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

I don't think the area we're talking about has had any butcher shops, cheese stores or bakeries for at least a hundred years. It consisted of abandoned rail yards and industrial blight until the 'development' that opened it up to public access. The area was as historic as it could possibly be from an industrial POV but a wasteland before the transformation. The area was really ugly before the redevelopment.

I agree with the general consensus that developers are the enemies of what we love about Paris but there are areas of Paris that weren't very lovable 100 years ago. The industrial revolution was ugly and I'd suggest that areas like Bercy should be described as "reclaimed". These were not places one would have wanted to go 20 years ago.

The area south of the bibliothèque in the 13th is another example. The conversion of industrial ruins and rail yards to a university town/biotech center/multi-income residential district - is a brilliant transformation of a deserted industrial district to a vibrant place to live for thousands of Parisians. These areas were really ugly and ignored politically and socially since WW2 so I see the 'development' there as a positive thing. The same goes for Bercy. It has a rich history that politicians chose to ignore until the entire wine depot was reduced to ruins over time. The fact that some developers chose a scheme that preserved the original wine sheds and respected the history of the wine depot in the development of the parc Bercy was commendable.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

Another example is the Bassin de la Villette and basically most of the Canal Saint Martin and Canal de l'Ourcq in Paris. When I lived in the 19th, the entire canal area was totally inaccessible due to factories and abandoned warehouses. Not charming at all.

Speaking of the Bercy area, when I moved to Paris, none of it could be visited anyway. It was completely closed off to the public and accessible only to professionals -- like the market in Rungis now.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 21:37
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

Line 14 is the newest of regular Métro lines and is interesting to rail fans. It runs deeper than any of the other lines (about ten stories underground) simply because there was no remaining room for a new line at shallower depths. However, it's very well lit and seems closer to the surface in consequence. It is also fully accessible, with escalators and elevators, and it is fully automated (and thus continues to run even during strikes).

There aren't many places to eat in Métro stations, although there are sometimes snack bars and vending machines.

16. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 11:35
Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

Sorry but I have to agree with Metromole and Kerouac2 as THEY live in Paris....

It is not up to tourists to get nostalgic about places that were pretty grungy in their days. I remember my first trip in Paris at the age of 14...Le Marais--and other areas--had mostly grotty buildings...

Former mansions had been turned into factories, warehouses, squats etc. The courtyards and gardens we see now in restored mansions were at the time covered by sheds, rooms with high ceilings divided into 2 separate floors etc. etc.

It is still possible to find photos of Paris from the early 1900 to the 50s... many areas of Paris looked beyond shabby...more like scary slums...

Not just in Paris either...All the oldest areas of many cities in France were run down, scary, as buildings owners couldn't afford to restored them. The 3 wars with Germany bled the French state dry and rebuilding the more modern areas of many towns destroyed by the 2 world wars was more important than restoring historical areas...

They might have been torn down if not for the foresight of Andre Malraux, backed by De Gaulle.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

To mention Bercy again, it should be pointed out that the one row of "old warehouses" that is now shops and restaurants was just one of about 24 rows of buildings -- all of the rest is now the very nice Parc de Bercy, fully open to the public and not with giant rats running between the buildings.

cpa-bastille91.com/wp-content/…bercy-1.jpg

Edited: 30 December 2013, 11:45
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

Giant rats? Have you been watching "The New Avengers"?

20. Re: Is Metro line 14 interesting for train lovers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 14:05