We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Versailles?

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Versailles?

My boyfriend and I are visiting Paris for the first time in Feb 2014 for 5 days. We want to see Versailles while we are there, and want to avoid a bus tour. How easy is it to get there on our own? We are staying at Hotel Tourisme Ave by the Eiffel Tower. Thanks!

Paseando por Europa - Paris
Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours
PARISCityVISION
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bus Tours
Big Bus Paris
Bus Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8,556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Versailles?

You can catch RER C at Champ de Mars- Tour Eiffel stop.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Versailles?

... and take it to Versailles Rive Gauche station. Buy your return tickets and hold them until you leave the train stations. Take note of the signs over the platforms to ensure you board a train that is going to the chateau Versailles Rive Gauche because there is a split of the line outside Paris.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Versailles?

It is best if you can prepurchase entrance tickets from the tourist office or Versailles website to reduce time spent in line.

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Versailles?

Is the tourist office near Versailles itself?

I was thinking of purchasing tickets online but the downside of that is that I may change my itinerary if the weather isn't good. However if the tourist office is very far or out of the way, it may be hassle for me as I have 2 kids tagging along.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Versailles?

Bonjour, Hulahoop,

This is the link to the Versailles Tourist Information Bureau:

versailles-tourisme.com/en/practical-informa…

If you enter the address in Google, you'll see that it is located between the RER station and the palace.

MrsJAS

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Versailles?

To learn how to get around Paris by métro/bus/RER use www.ratp.fr. This link will also show you how to get to Versailles. Here is a link to a route planner:

ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/recherche-avancee

Here is an interactive map of the system:

www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/carteidf.php…

Since parts of this website are only in French you can also use www.transilien.com or www.vianavigo.com. Via Navigo probably has the most complete English website. A good website to learn how to use public transport in Paris is www.parisbytrain.com.

Buy a good detailed map of Paris of around the scale 1:12,000 and it will show all streets and street names, museums, monuments, gardens, parks, sites, attractions and the location of all RER and métro stops. A handy booklet to buy is called ''Plan de Paris par Arrondissement, L'Indispensable''. It is available in the Relay bookstores you'll find in the main line train stations and RER stations. It can be bought in many other places as well.

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Versailles?

Thanks for the advice.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Versailles?

Thanks so much!

9. Re: How to get to Versailles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 05:04
Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Versailles?

Tom- what an awesome website. Truly appreciate it. Love the detail it gives. I just don't want to be on a crowded tour bus and on a schedule. Want to explore Versailles on our own!