We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allowed to drink in public parks?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Allowed to drink in public parks?

My wife and I will be traveling to Paris this coming summer and we'll be bringing our then 1 year old daughter.

I want to plan some picnics in the many parks, but was wondering if it's legal to enjoy a bottle of wine with our picnic in a public park?

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

Technically it's illegal but the police tolerate wine or beer if you're picnicking and keep the bottle out of sight.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

And, don't forget a corkscrew and plastic glasses.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

in certain parks that had specific problems with vagrants, the "no alcohol" signs are extremely visible, but as metromole says, there is enforcement only if there is a problem. During the periods of nice weather, you will see hundreds of people picnicking with wine and beer in all of the parks of outer Paris (Villette, Buttes Chaumont, Montsouris, André Citroën, etc.) and also along the Seine and the canals... and nobody feels any need to hide their bottles or cans.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,031 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

Although its technically illegal do not worry.. they are not the least bit interested in a family picnic or a couple having a drink with lunch.. they are looking to prevent public drunkeness. What many people do not realize that although the French enjoy drinking socially.. public drunkeness is considered super tacky. Feel rree to discreetly enjoy a drink with your picnic.

My french godfather had his family bring him some wine for his dinner while in the hospital. The staff not only did not mind, they found a glass for him( obviously in his case his condition did not contradict a small bit of alcohol)

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

No, it is not legal, and I do not advocate breaking the law. You're a guest in the country.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,748 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

So Euro, you think the American tourist family should picnic surrounded by French families enjoying wine with their meal but they themselves should abstain and perhaps shoot the locals dirty or smug looks for being such terrible 'lawbreakers'?

To the OP: there is often an issue around the Eiffel Tower with public drunkenness and so they tend to enforce the alcohol bans in the evening there. You might want to plan an evening picnic for another park.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

I think that people should obey local laws everywhere, and especially when away from home. There are many Parisians who obey the laws as well. And foreigners who break the laws make an extremely poor impression and fairly beg to be made examples of. If you are unwilling to respect the culture and laws of the places you visit, stay home.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

Here is the official text in case anybody is interested:

"Les pique-niques individuels et familiaux sont autorisés, à condition que

la propreté des lieux soit respectée. Les feux et barbecues sont interdits.

L’introduction et la consommation de boissons alcoolisées sont interdites,

cette règle ne s’applique pas aux restaurants et chalets de vente

conformément à leur titre d’occupation."

At least they are aware of their hypocrisy since it says that you can drink any alcohol that you buy at any of the stands in a park.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,813 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

There is a good way to execute a picnic described here ---> tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d2…

Pjk

Edited: 28 December 2013, 16:47
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,748 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allowed to drink in public parks?

I am frankly rolling on the floor with laughter at the idea that respecting the 'culture' of Paris means one should not drink wine with their picnics. I actually don't drink wine with my picnics since I rarely drink and then a glass with dinner -- but I have never had a picnic in which all the locals around me were not enjoying a glass of wine. Apparently Parisians are ignorant of their own 'culture.'