We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

san francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

I was thinking about getting tickets to go to the Montparnasse tower at night.

My question is: Is it easy to get a taxi on the street at night in front of the tower to return to our hotel? We would probably be there around 9 - 10 pm.

Thanks so much for any and all advice.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

Since the Tour Montparnasse is right in front of the Montparnasse train station, there are taxis available there until the train station closes -- and even later, since it is one of the principal areas of Paris nightlife.

Is anything wrong with the metro?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,070 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

this area is super well connected to the metro system -- the metro is full of people till it closes and quite safe any time of day

we stayed near here on our last trip to Paris and often came back to the area at midnight

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

Mary, 10 pm is not late in Paris, especially in this lively area. Metro runs to about 1 am.

If we knew where you're staying, could advice on best transit connection.

san francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

Thanks everyone!

We will be staying in the Rue Clare area near the Eiffel Tower.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

The number 92 bus departs Montparnasse, (both from the west side and just in front of) every 20 minutes and passes near rue Cler. The last bus is 00h30 so you will definitely not miss it. The buses originate on the west side of Montparnasse so you can sit on the bus and avoid the cold as you wait for the departure time.

san francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

Thanks so much for this information.

I appreciate it.

My sense is that you feel it is perfectly safe for two women to be out at night in the more touristed areas and on the Metro. That is helpful for me to know.

Many of the posts had me worried.

We will go and have a great time.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

I've walked all over Paris alone up till late at night. Midnight or 1:00 in the morning. I've also used the Metro late without problem. Especially when I stayed just off Rue Cler. I found little to do there at night so I would go elsewhere and get back to the hotel pretty late.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,070 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

What have you read that suggests a couple of women on the metro or the street especially in well touristed areas like Rue Cler and Montparnasse are in danger? I have literally been from one end of the city to the other on the metro at midnight without concern and have often walked late at night in various areas around town.

Paris is the safest city I have spent time in. Certainly it is far safer than San Francisco or Chicago

Level Contributor
8,552 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

Actually the Rue Cler area gets pretty quiet early . We found ourselves (two women) the only ones on many streets in that area in Oct. about 10-1030pm...did not like that and finally found a bus and returned to our hotel in a much busier area.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 03:04
10. Re: Tours Montparnasse - Taxi Availibility at Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:17