We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other desirable areas near central Paris?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Other desirable areas near central Paris?

We are looking to either rent an apt. or exchange our California home for an apt. in Paris in September. We realize it is a busy month and the chances of getting a great apt. in the 5th or 6th are slim. We have been to Paris twice and have stayed in the Marais and the 7th. We are not familiar with areas a little further out but are thinking we might have a better chance with a good home exchange or apt rental if we expand our search area. We would like to be within a 20 min metro ride to the center (Louvre, Marais, etc). What other arrondissements or areas are desirable, special, or unique that we should consider? I know every place has its charms but we don't want to be too far out. There will be three of us and we want an apt. for a week or two. Thank you!

Edited: 31 December 2013, 18:48
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,080 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

I like the areas of the 11th and 12th near the Bastille.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

If you are staying for a longer chunk of time (you mention a possible 2 week stay), then it just is not as important to be in the very center IMO.

I have enjoyed staying in the 9th. We were within walking distance to rue des martyrs, Montmartre, the covered passages, etcetc. great location. I have also loved exploring the 2nd, 3rd,11th, and 12th.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions. To me, there has always been a lot of diversity within each arrondissement, so I don't get too "hung up" on the number. I just like to be in a lively place. (I have stayed in the 16th near the Kleber metro, and it didn't suit me at all--way too sterile. )

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

Thank you for the replies so far. I am thinking the 11th or 12th would be good. Am open to areas further out as long as there is excellent metro access. Keep the suggestions coming!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,529 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

I would consider anywhere within the 20 arrondissements. Outside of that, you are no longer really in Paris and commuting time and travels costs escalate.

The métro extends to places outside of Paris such as Créteil, which I would definitely avoid, or areas such as Montrouge which might hold some interest. Staying near a métro line make commuting into central Paris faster and cheaper but overall, I would stick with the arrondissements.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

You could also try the 'inner' arrondissements but on their outer limits...

Example: The 5th arr, between Monge and Gobelins

We stayed in a hotel by M: Villiers in the 17th a couple times, near Parc Monceau - liked it there quite a bit.

Past few years we've been by M: Mouton Duvernet in the 14th - - there are quite a few listings for "Montparnasse" area (which might be closer to the tower and ave du Maine more then Denfert Rochereau)...

Many people enjoy Montmartre for an alternate location, but some have posted of becoming a bit weary of the trek to and from over an extended stay...

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

20 minutes from the very heart of Paris puts you in my town, which is in zone 3 in the suburbs :) So if you want to stay in Paris anywhere will be a very short métro ride from the center anyway so I wouldn't worry about that. If I were you I would just look for home exchange or apartments that appeal to me and then inquire about the area. There are desirable areas in every arrondissement.

Actually Créteil has some extremely desirable neighborhoods just across the river from my town but they are not near the métro at all so not convenient to visit Paris and 80% of Créteil is indeed rather ugly :)

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

A lady volunteer in my workplace did home exchanges a couple of times in Paris. The first time it was in one of the low numbered districts, the second time it was in the 13th. The Gobelins area more precisely. She asked me about it, I reassured her that it was a good area, without hordes of tourists. She did enjoy it a lot.

Each area as its pros and cons. Staying in the 5th, near the "Jardin des Plantes" for example...especially if one had a view of it, would be wonderful. Or staying in the 6th, in the ever so quiet and private "Cour de Rohan"...

In the 8th--but it feels like the 9th. one area is called "le quartier de l'Europe" because all the streets are named after various European capitals. The buildings are typical Haussmann style and are great. And one is a 10 minutes walk away-- at most--from Galeries Lafayette and Printemps, without the crowds....

I wouldn't mind staying in a former artist loft in Montparnasse, with a view of its cemetery...

The famous real estate saying "the 3 most important things are location, location, location" is true. One should definitely look at Google Earth before making a choice.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

There are plenty of home exchanges in the suburbs that are quite spacious compared to central Paris and also extremely convenient to the metro, RER or commuter trains.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

Thank you for the replies. I will look into the 8th, 11th and 12th especially. Kerouac2 mentioned the suburbs. I am open to that but have absolutely no idea which ones or where to start the search. Could you name 2-3 suburbs that are nice and still have quick access to the center of Paris?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Other desirable areas near central Paris?

Boulogne, Neuilly, Saint Mandé, for example are affluent suburbs that border Paris, but even towns like Meudon or Asnières which are a bit farther out have pretty intense commuter service into the city.

Generally, any suburban home exchange possibilities with stress how close they are to the station and how long it takes to get into Paris.