We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDG Layover time

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
CDG Layover time

I am looking at a flight that arrives from Germany with a 1 hour 5 min layover. The departing flight is to the USA. Is this a reasonable amount of time to get to a departing flight? Will there be a long distance from an EU flight to the International terminal or is there quick transportation between? Thank you! It has been several years since I have been through CDG, so I'm not familiar with the current layout.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: CDG Layover time

I once had a layover at CDG going to Venice from the states, it was about an hour and a half. We barely made our connection. I don't know if the process is the same reversed, but from what I've seen of CDG, I'd try and pick something with a longer layover.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CDG Layover time

Are you travelling on one ticket and your luggage is going to be checked through for transatlantic flight?

It's hard to speculate when you don't give any info about your arrival/departure terminal, but I wouldn't book it this way.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,949 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CDG Layover time

Even if the luggage is checked through, you will have to go through outgoing Passport Control at CDG. and through the security for flights to the USA. I would not risk a 65-minute connection.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CDG Layover time

It is tight, but doable with an on-time incoming flight. I've done it several times. You'll probably have to change terminals, and some are easier than others to get to.

If you have the option of a longer layover, I'd suggest you take it. It will be less stressful and give you some time for shopping if you are so inclined.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 06:21
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CDG Layover time

would you make an international connection at Hartsfield with an hour layover?

It's statistically possible, but realistically improbable that you'd make the connection -- if your first flight is even a heartbeat behind schedule, you'll miss it.

Level Contributor
7,834 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CDG Layover time

CDG has always been a very rough airport to connect in. My personal rule is 3 hours connecting time...this comes after having connections just like OP and when you miss it very little help or availability to get out. At least AF and DL will book a legal connection time which I believe it less than one hour...they do this so they will come up on computers first as fastest time from A to B. If you are stuck with this hope for the best and in advance find out what other options you have if you miss your flight...also helps to sit wherever is near door...and remember 75% of the other passengers need to run to their gate too. Next time or if you still can give yourself more time...and it is still same fare.

Georgia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CDG Layover time

We will have carry on only and are traveling on one ticket. I just wasn't sure how the terminals were set up with intra EU flights vs international. It sounds like we will need time for security and passport check too. I checked the flight for the US and it left from 2E yesterday. I assume the flight from Germany will be at A-D somewhere. It looks like some good walk time or shuttle bus time is needed.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CDG Layover time

as above -- it's a lot like Hartsfield, in that your domestic (internal EU) flight will land at one terminal, but your long-haul will probably leave from another terminal...

I wouldn't attempt that transfer at Hartsfield on a bet -- and you shouldn't try it at CDG, either -- I never, ever make intenational connections with less than 2 hours, and even then I'm edgy and watching the clock.

3 hours would be better.

Level Contributor
7,834 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CDG Layover time

I did now read where op says "I am looking at" which says to me then it is not a done deal and it would be recommended to allow extra time even if it means taking a very early flight. I absolutely hate that running through airports wondering if the gate will be closed when you get there and believe me they do close them especially if the flight is overbooked and the seats have been given away. Sometimes if it is same airline or partner they know you are coming and will accommodate but not always.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CDG Layover time

and they start boarding international flights an hour before takeoff -- not a good start.