We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

Croatia
Level Contributor
364 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

My niece (21) just left for Paris and is going to spend the next semester there in an international university program (in English). Could anyone help me with some suggestions concerning best options for an affordable mobile phone and mobile internet connection for those 5 - 6 months? Where should she look? Any names of cheap providers in France? It's funny that she asks me for help although I am in Zagreb and she is in Paris (as of yesterday), but she doesn't speak French, only English.

Thanks for your help.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
342 reviews
from US$60.93*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,253 reviews
from US$106.01*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
533 reviews
from US$43.87*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower...
664 reviews
from US$108.45*
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

It's going to be difficult to set up a phoneplan if she doesn't speak French but free mobile has a plan for 19.90 € a month that includes unlimited calls to France, Europe and North America, unlimited texts to France and unlimited internet data.

Their plans can be canceled any time and I think they also sell unlocked phones. Otherwise their plans work on any unlocked phone.

There are other providers with 2 or 3 € plans but they won't have everything unlimited or will force you to subscribe for a year. Free mobile actually has a cheap basic plan around 3 or 4 € too I think. And prepaid cards are very expensive by the minute.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
867 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

hi.

For 19€99 she can have an unlimited line to all phones (land or cell) in France, free call to all land and cell in the US (to call the family ^^ ), and also 20GO of internet.

This is a low cost company, only works on internet. You can quite when you want.

http://mobile.free.fr/

Edited: 02 January 2014, 12:05
Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
867 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

You can also have a look there: https:/…forfait-24-24-internet-5go

the 19€99 and 24€99 are unlimited if you want to call USA landlines and Mobiles.

PS: all the website is in French... and it is a low cost branch of a big mobile opérator, so there is not a shop, only internet.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

Free is also an internet provider. Triple play is around 30 € amonth everywhere but if she goes with them the cell phone plan I mentioned above will only cost 15.99 €.

Otherwise check sfr or bouygues and compare plans. There is also Orange but it is expensive from what I remember.

Sorry I am writing from my cell phone and can't post links or check current prices.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

Mrs_French, I can't find the unlimited Internet plan. I'm ready to sign-up!!!! Could you look it up when you get back to your machine please?

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
867 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

15€99 with free is if you are already classic internet client.

If not client, 19.99€, as I put the link before ;-) http://mobile.free.fr/

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

For "unlimited" internet?

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

I see what you mean metromole, they no longer call their data plans unlimited as they are now expressed in data volume rather than data time. When I signed up almost a couple of years ago it was advertised as providing unlimited internet because there was no limit on the number of hours you could spend on the internet unlike with most plans at the time when you had to choose so many minutes or hours of internet (after which you either lost internet for the prepaid plans or incurred extra costs if you went beyond the allocated minutes or hours).

I suppose the law has changed as to what can be called unlimited now that internet time has been replaced by data volume. Once you've reached the 3 Go or 20 Go cap the speed decreases to Edge or something like that so you still have unlimited internet time but it can't legally be called unlimited internet since you don't have unlimited internet data volume.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
867 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

20GO per month with the optimum speed. Then with a reduced speed

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mob phone/internet provider for a foreign student in Paris?

Thanks for clarifying mrs_French. 20Go isn't bad. That's 40 iTunes TV shows or 100 netflix streams per month. I can live with that.