We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to tell a brasserie vs. restaurant from the outside

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
How to tell a brasserie vs. restaurant from the outside

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Paris with our daughter, who will be 1 yr old this summer. We plan to eat in brasseries, cafés and bistros since she will be so young. My question is, when we are on an outing and hungry, how will we be able to tell if an establishment is a full-on restaurant (and therefore not an option for us)? Are most places with "Chez" in the name a restaurant? Will most brasseries have the word "brasserie" in the title? Are there any physical characteristics that will help us to know whether an establishment is a good option for us just by looking at the door or anything else outside?

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to tell a brasserie vs. restaurant from the outside

If there is a sign with the open/close hours that will help. I don't remember seeing any or not. Restaurants are typically smaller, and close between lunch sitting and dinner sitting. Brasseries are typically larger, and have people drinking and eating at any hour. A bin of iced fish or oysters on the sidewalk might indicate a Brasserie as well. But really, if you like the displayed menu / carte, and they will seat you with your child, then go for it, especially if it is before typical dinner times (ex. you want to get a table before 8pm or so...)

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to tell a brasserie vs. restaurant from the outside

You can't To all intents and purposes the terms are interchangeable.

As all places have their menus outside (it's the law) you will be able to see whats on for dinner and how much it will cost before you enter.

For the record, restaurants are often referred to as "chez" someone without it actually being the restaurant's name, especially of you know the staff (or owner). My experience in Paris is that if somewhere is named "Chez" it could be aimed at tourists.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 23:00
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to tell a brasserie vs. restaurant from the outside

Yes, the lines have become blurred more and more. I wouldn't worry about it too much. With a child, I have to think you won't be stumbling into very many high-end restaurants where a young one might be out of place. If it's open, and the menu looks good, go for it.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to tell a brasserie vs. restaurant from the outside

Restaurants and their equivalent usually start seating dinner at 7:30, sometimes 7:00.

Cafés usually serve food all day long. A brasserie could be a restaurant or a café equivalent but for most children, beginning a meal at 7:30 is probably too late in the evening.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to tell a brasserie vs. restaurant from the outside

If and when there is a difference it will be the opening hours: a restaurant serves lunch from approximately 11:30 to 3 and dinner from 7 to 10 or 11 whereas a brasserie will serve hot food all day. But some restaurants serve all day too. The awning could say anything, some cafés say "restaurant" and some restaurants say "bistro" so the best way is to look at the menu (always posted outside) and the hours and just looking at the place and people to get a feel of whether it would work for you or not.

6. Re: How to tell a brasserie vs. restaurant from the outside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:19