We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

Mumbai, India
1 post
Save Topic
Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

Hi,

We are 2 people traveling for the first time to Paris. We have 6 days in total and want to experience Paris and Switzerland. Would you please help suggest the easiest way to experience these two places? Where ideally we should be staying in Paris and in Switzerland to enjoy the most of it?

many thanks,

Harry

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
5,802 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

Hello dharrywalia

If you use the Search Box at the top of the forum page and type in basic questions like 'paris to zurich' or 'paris to geneva' you can find past discussions and questions on this subject. This is a good way to find past information and advice about travel between various destinations.

Also, to help posters provide you more useful suggestions, it would help if you were more specific about where in Switzerland you are wanting to visit, Geneva, Zurich, the Alps, other?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

Do these 6 days include arrival and departure days? If so then I don't think that you have enough time to cover 2 locations.

Should you decide to risk splitting this trip up also bear in mind that you need to factor in travel time between the locations. Extra time lost when you could be enjoying sightseeing instead. I know which I would choose.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 13:43
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

If you decide that Zurich is the place for you in Switzerland, then a couple of days is enough (in my opinion).

We travelled by train from Paris to Zurich in May last year (before continuing on to Vienna) and found that we had plenty of time to see all that we wanted to in Zurich (including a boat trip around the lake).

There are several posts/trip reports on this site to help you make up your mind.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,707 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

of course you can do this and it is simple to fly into Paris and out of Switzerland -- just look at multiple city bookings. open jaws are not more expensive than round trips; we have been flying this way for over 25 years.

for the leg from Paris to Switzerland you would probably be best off with a budget airline but check to see if a 3 destination ticket would work out better. definitely book the coming and going on an open jaw -- having to double back with so little time would chew up way too much time.

I do think that you simply don't have time to do this justice. Zurich is IMHO definitely not worth the effort and you really don't have time to get into the mountains to hike and such.

6 nights is 5 full days -- that is a kind of minimal first trip to Paris. I would strongly encourage you to spend your time this trip in Paris and do Switzerland when you have time for it.

all you will 'experience' doing it this way is lots of logistics and a couple of tourist sights

Edited: 10 January 2014, 18:02
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

I visited both Paris and Switzerland last September, and think you would feel a bit rushed trying to see both in 5 full days. I spent 5 nights in Paris, but you could cut that down to 3, but you would sacrifice being able to see everything at an enjoyable pace, and you would likely need to leave several sights off your itinerary.

When people think of Switzerland, I believe they are picturing the high snow-covered Alpine peaks and beautiful valleys, which is not what you will experience in the big city of Zurich. I think you would get the perfect Switzerland experience somewhere like Lauterbrunnen or Wengen in the Bernese Oberland region. We spent 5 wonderful days hiking the Apline trails, based in Lauterbrunnen.

There was a TGV-Lyria train from Paris to Basel that left Paris at 6:15am, and we were in Lauterbrunnen, after two train changes, by early afternoon.

For hiking, the best month in Switzerland is September, which has more clear days than many of the other months.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

If you pre-book, Paris-Basel/Lausanne/Geneva starts at just €25 at www.tgv-lyria.com or www.capitainetrain.com. You print your own ticket.

Once in Switzerland, trains need no reservation, check prices and times at the Swiss Railways site www.sbb.ch.

7. Re: Paris - Switzerland - Paris - Where & how?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:16