We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

Hello, I have posted a similar question before, sorry for the similarity.

I am in Paris in May and have researched maybe 17 new churches to visit but I am not sure I can see all 15, nor will I have any energy to see all 17. Will only be in Paris for 10 days since I'm spending some time in Amsterdam this year.

For the record, I have already seen the following churches:

Notre Dame

St. Chapelle

Miraculous Medal

St. Vincent de Paul (near Miraculous Medal)

St. Severin

St. Etienne

Sacre Couer

On my new list for 2014 are --- Madeleine, Val de Grace, Holy Trinity, Saint-Louis d'Antin, Saint-Esprit, Notre Dame du Travail, Saint Jacques, St. Odile, Saint Merri, Notre Dame de l'arche d'alliance, Notre Dame des Victoires, Saint Louis en Isle, St. Juliene le paurre, Saint Roch, Saint Sulpice, Sainti Eustache, St. Germain l'Auxerrois, St. Germain des pres, Our Lady of Consolation, St. Denis, St. Alexandre Nevsky

Ii think if I set out to see 2-3 per district each morning, I might be close to achieving my goal but I am not sure since I am not familiar with the distances amongst the churches per district.

Are any of these churches worth eliminating and worth must-see?

Thank you.

Paris
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

I've never been able to go inside the St Alexandre Nevsky cathedral, but, according to their website, it is open to the public on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays from 3pm to 5pm. It would definitely be a worthwhile visit, I'm sure.

cathedrale-orthodoxe.com/cathedrale/visites/

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

Nemor Y, you regularly ask about visiting churches, so I can tell they are really a priority for you. So, keeping that in mind, I say that you will indeed have time to see 3 per morning (except on the day you go to St. Denis because that one is a bit of a daytrip just outside Paris).

I say you will have time because you will make the time; it is what you want to do. When I am in Paris, what I like to do is walk across the city. So if I posted, "Can I walk from rue Mouffetard to rue Montorgueil and then on to rue Caulincourt?" the answer would be "yes." Someone else, though, would need a good metro route. We all put our own priorities first.

I think you just need to group your churches by area (and I think I saw a previous post where you'd already worked on that?), and set out each morning with your own natural motivation.

As far as "worth it or not worth it," don't even question it. You never know what will speak to you, what little hidden meaning you will find in each church. Some are older or more glorious or more "important" historically, but so what?

As Frenchtwinkie suggests, make sure you know the open hours for each church--some may be open evenings too.

Personally, I love St Eustache and am glad to see it on your list.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 17:33
los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

P.S. Nothing is better than exploring on foot. As you walk in each area, you may pass a church you've not included on your list, and of course you can go in if it is open. These are the discoveries we make when we explore the city--unexpected wonders!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,142 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

I would also add the Arc of the Covenant in the 14th

you can see some of the churches we visited here:

…wordpress.com/2013/…

we like to visit churches and then the communities around them

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

You've got quite a list. I enjoying going in churches too.

My last trip I went to St. Joseph des Carmes for the first time, which I realize isn't on your already extensive list. It was beautiful - so beautiful that I decided to go back for the tour offered every Saturday. I thought it was just to see the crypt. Turned out to be a 2-hour tour of the entire church and was fascinating. Luckily a French friend was with me who could help with translation, as I could pick up the gist but not the finer points.

The guide gave us a book that listed all the Catholic churches in Paris. Several offer tours on a regular basis. Depending on your French skills you might want to join a tour. I never thought I'd enjoy a 2 hour tour of a church but it was a highlight of my trip. For example, we learned that the painting above the altar was donated by Anne of Austria. She was pictured in it - with the 2 sons she hoped she would eventually have but she was having trouble conceiving. She eventually did have 2 boys - one of whom was Louis XIV. There was also a massacre at the church and the skeletons are in the crypt.

I wouldn't want to do lots of these in a short period of time, but going a bit more in depth in one or two might be interesting.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

Truthfully, we've found something interesting, and usually beautiful, about every church we've happened upon here in Paris. Saint Paul was a surprise to me, and definitely worth seeing if you're in the neighborhood.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
410 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

Saint Eustache, an amazing church. Even if one is not Catholic or all that church going, I would recommend, if you are there on a Sunday, to find out and go to their main "High Mass". The organ and choir is incredible a great experience. I think they are Sulpicians, who take care of that church, very philosophically minded, very refreshing (if you understand French).

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

All I can say now is I LOVE YOU ALL. Thank you for indulging me, hopefully for the last time. Since it's already January, yes, I am getting butterflies in my stomach, nervous, eager and anxious! Some days I just want to give up. I say to myself, what? Am i crazy, this is a long list of churches to see, but some days, I feel energized and hopeful. THANKS to your advice to group the churches, actually I have not yet done that, though I have a somewhat good picture of where each one is and in what district.

And THANK YOU to the advice to WALK. That, I shall. Already trying to find a good casual walking pair of shoes (closed toes) for this trip.

I also love your new suggestions, i.e., Covenant, St. Joseph, St. Paul, wow, my list grows long. I should stop now while I'm ahead of a breakdown. :)

PS -- On many evenings, on my way to my favourite take-out chicken place on St. Germain from the Diana, I felt I had passed some obscure out-of-the-way, darkened alleyways churches but not sure if I should enter. Looking back, I regret not taking the time to peek inside. [Thanks also to MCal's advice to just see what there is to see along the way.]

I LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH - THANK YOU and I wish you all a Very Blessed and Happy 2014.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

PS - St. Paul meaning "St. Vincent de Paul?"

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting more Catholic Churches, would I have enough time?

Not St Vincent de Paul, but the Saint Paul near the metro stop of rhe same name in the 4th arr. (Full name is Saint Paul-Saint Louis:

ipreferparis.net/2012/11/saint-paul-church-.…

So it wouldn't be far from St Merri or St Jacques (if you mean the Tour St Jacques, the tower that remains).

Edited: 11 January 2014, 04:42