We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no safe - what to do with passport?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
no safe - what to do with passport?

There's a good chance I'll be renting an apartment with no safe. Any ideas if it's safe to leave passports in the room or should carry with us at all times?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

French law requires that you carry it. Anyone in a public place in France must have an identity document issued by their national government.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

I just leave mine in a "safe" place in my apartment. You can get by with carrying a photocopy on you while out and about.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

+1 for F1racegirl. I am not going to run around Paris with my passport in my purse. In 30+ years I've never needed it. I don't know anyone who has needed it.

Belton, Missouri
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

We just left ours in a safe place in the apartment. During the three weeks we were there, no one asked for our ID. You should be fine.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

Sorry, should be more clear. I would prefer not to carry my passport and am used to always leaving it in a hotel safe. But if I rent an apartment - first time - don't think most have a safe. So really my question is whether it's smart to leave 3 passports in an apt all day while we're sightseeing?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

black and white photocopies of passport info page will usually suffice as ID, and passports will be safer left with luggage. So just find a place with good reviews so you feel comfortable leaving your stuff there.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,844 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

Most apartments are safer then hotel rooms what with an entrance code needed to even get in building before they even get to your door.

Passports aren't hot theft items anyways.. they want money, small electronics.

Last time I left my passport on the table in my apartment.. for our unit there were two locked doors before you even got to out apartment.. plus stairs.. figured they would have to be absolutely desperate to make it to our place, lol

You could always tape it underneath furniture.. but now that I have written that its not such a secret place anymore.

I don't carry mine and never have. If I go out of Paris on a daytrip I sometimes carry it in case an emergency arises and I have to rent a hotel room in another town.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,091 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

Most apartments have serious deadbolt locks and external entry codes -- usually two -- one for the entry and then another for the inner access. I have never worried about leaving them in the apartment. I carry my DL and a copy of the passport. I figure if I actually 'need' it for police reasons, that the fact it is in the apartment will be the least of my worries.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

Staying in an apartment, in addition to the security mentioned above, no staff are in and out throughout your stay.

Best is to carry a copy and store it in one of your bags (an inside pocket) so you're sure not to depart without it.

In 20 years of visiting Paris, we've never been asked to ID, except when exchanging money (years ago) and for detaxe forms and a copy was just fine.

Note also that it's a really good idea to secure it on arrival as soon as you clear passport control, especially if you ride the RER/Metro into the city.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: no safe - what to do with passport?

Stick it in an inner pocket of your jacket, and take it with you. I always have at least one of my passports on me, as does Mrs Wiz.

Passports aren't what casual theives target, they are too much bother. If you feel safe carrying $100s of easily stealable, readily disposable goods like phones, camera and tablets having your passport shouldnt be an issue.