We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris bus route/stops book

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Paris bus route/stops book

Dear All,

I have bought two different paris mapguide books, and neither have the actual bus routes with the bus stops marked in them. I understand there is a guidebook that has overlays with bus and metro routes and stops labeled. Can I purchase one at the info desk at CDG, or at the local tabac? Can you give me the specific name, since I have two duds already.

Also, I see from previous posts, there appears to be a phone app available that does all this. We have an android we will be taking with us. We will be doing a lot of trips using bus/metro.

Thanks,

Sally

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

Here is a start: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k70994…

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,055 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

My favorite is l'Indispensable Paris 3 Plans par Arrondissement

massin.fr/plans-de-paris/754-le-petit-parisi…

Someone posted the discount code recently for free shipping and handling.

Once in Paris, a good resource for maps is any of the Gilbert Jeune shops, along with some kiosks and tabacs though the selection is more limited.

The RATP website is a terrific resource. You can print individual bus route maps or download them to a smartphone.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

You can order the street map "Paris, L'indispensable", online at www.massin.fr The free delivery code is either 2013 or 2014.

The best bus map IMO is "Le Bus Parisien, L'Indispensable", by Massin. It shows both a map (with directions and bus stops) as well as a diagram of stops, listed in order, in each direction - for each bus line. Also, days and times when the route is operating are listed. About 5 EU, in most newsstands or bookstores, or order it online as mentioned above.

Both are small, easy to read and easy-to-use.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

Ah Ha.....I was debating the phone app, and after reading these posts, the book is for me, as I usually like to plan ahead. We bought a gps, a chip for the Uk, put in many addresses ahead of time, and never got it to work. We had to rely on my handmade maps!

Thanks for the coupon code and the France site to order ahead of time.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_20527/travelling/

This is the absolute best...plug in the addresses/general locations and hit search; then modify by method of transportation, hours, direction, etc....mix this with Google Maps walking directions and it's close to perfect.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

PS: For going out without preplanning, as djk said, there is another part of the ratp website that will let you print out all the bus routes/stops and the direction that the buses go....IMO, much easier to deal with.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

Realize that there are many ways to approach most places. I just plugged our hotel and a favorite dinner spot into the ratp ap NYCH provided. The route it suggested had me transferring at a location I would usually avoid at night, then walking farther than I usually do, also through a scuzzy neighborhood. With a paper map, book or Grand Plan, one can choose the route that is most comfortable.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
486 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

It does give you options for less walking, fewest changes. Can't comment on neighborhood issues, but if she is into preplanning, this part of the website combined with google maps walking directions is better than any book because of the ability to interface with the app uniquely.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

The Paris Plan by Arrondissement book that we got following instructions here and Patty's coupon code has three pages per arrondissement:: one with streets, one with bus stops and directions, and one with metro stops. This works well because otherwise the size of the names of the stops and stations have to be exaggerated on most apps/maps so that they either obliterate some street names or they appear to take up more space than they might actually occupy.

The bus plan is particularly good, as it really helps you understand what to do with when the pesky bus route hits a one way street (so that when you're outbound, you stand on one street and coming back, you have to walk a block over...)

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,055 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris bus route/stops book

<< We have an android we will be taking with us. >>

The Nanika MetrO app is terrific for bus routing and can be used offline.

For preplanning, you can do journeys on the RATP website, print to pdf, and download them (with the maps and directions expanded if you wish) to your phone.

The RATP app is handy for saving maps of the major transfer points (Concorde, St-Michel, Alma Marceau, Trocadero, etc.) where your next bus might be around the corner or elsewhere. To save them offline, use the print screen function. (Though, it's easy enough to refer to the Plan de Quartier map at every bus stop when transferring.)

The 3 plans booklet is also handy as the maps include all the taxi stands, Velib stations, Batobus docks, public restrooms, markets (covered and roving), etc. While some may find it "bulky", it's worth that for the meticulous detail.