We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

Richland, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

Dear All,

I'm planning a very short trip to Paris with my girlfriend. We would arrive to CDG airport in January on a Saturday evening and leave Monday early morning. Sunday we are planning to check out a few place in central Paris. I know, it's quite short...

I've checked a couple of prices for public transportation from/to the airport and also the 1Day unlimited travel cards for the central Paris. I also checked the price of a rental car for 2 days and including estimated gas price, it seems to cost less than public transportation(total, for the two of us) for this period.

Since it's would be our first time in Paris, we know nothing about parking fees, traffic, etc, so we are not sure what would be the better choice for getting around during this short period.

Any suggestions from all you guys who've been there already? What would you choose?

Much appreciated!

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

Public transport!

I've never attempted to drive in Paris, but suspect parking would be really difficult and costly and traffic a potential nightmare. Paris has great public transport - not to mention taxis!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,060 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

You do not, under any circumstances, want a rental car for travelling around Paris. Onstreet parking is almost impossible, and parking stations are very expensive and not conveniently located near tourist sights. Use the excellent public transport in Paris.

Forget the expensive Paris Visite cards. Buy a carnet of 10 ordinary metro/bus tickets for €13.30 and use them on the metro and buses.

Richland, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

I should've thought so...

Thank you for your answer!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

Parking is free on Sundays but a car would still be a hassle and a big waste of time (pick up and drop off, signing a contract in an agency, driving and finding parking, etc).

Will you be staying at a hotel near CDG (probably the wisest given your time frame) or in central Paris? The carnet of tickets t+ won't cover your trips between CDG and Paris and the Paris Visite at 22.85 will be the cheapest (actually the only available) day pass for a day in Paris from CDG given that a round trip costs 19.50 already. Once again it depends where your hotel is.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 11:17
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

If you have a car you will probably spend as much on public transport getting too and from where you have had to park....

Level Contributor
8,905 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

parking could be free every day and I would still say public transport is the only way...same as say NYC...would anyone rent a car to visit the city...doubtful. A car is just a burden.

Richland, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

Thank you all for your reply! I think it's decided then!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

If it's not decided, let me throw in the proviso that whatever costs you're reading about rental cars will be inflated by the time you add what I consider to be absolutely necessary: all liability waiver insurance. Even if you are a perfect parker, others are not. And spending the time getting/dropping off the car cuts into precious hours in Paris.

Totally agree with gene about NYC, Paris - and I'd add San Francisco to the "it's way cheaper and more efficient to use public transport." You're going to be walking a lot, RER into Paris plus a carnet of tickets is going to be in the neighborhood of 30€ for two days - I'm really skeptical that you can rent a car, buy petrol (you'll probably end up bringing the car back to let the agency fill it - there are few gas stations in Paris and most are automated - and it's *very* unlikely that your U.S. credit card will work at them - you could spend quite a bit of time just trying to find a gas station!)

(And driving around Paris is not the way to see it - unless you are in a taxi!)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,043 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

I hope that this is part of a longer trip to Europe and you are not flying from the west coast to spend 2 days in Paris. As much as I love Paris I cannot imagine spending nearly 20 hours in transit each way for 2 days in Paris.

10. Re: public transport or rental car for TWO DAYS IN PARIS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:20