We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do We Need to Wait in Line for Kid's Free Museum Pass?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Do We Need to Wait in Line for Kid's Free Museum Pass?

Hi, We (me, my husband, and our 12 yo) plan to go to Paris in June. My husband and I will buy museum passes in advance. Since kid's admission is free, do we need to wait in line at the site ticket office for the kid's free pass? It happened to us in Istanbul last year. We bought the tickets on-line in advance, but the guard made us to wait in the long line to get the kid's free pass at the ticketing booth. It was totally meaningless to purchase the passes in advance.

Thanks for your time!

Nils

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do We Need to Wait in Line for Kid's Free Museum Pass?

You wait in the queue for security and at the Louvre and Orsay, free entry/museum pass or not, you may well end up in a line. Everyone has to wait for that.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do We Need to Wait in Line for Kid's Free Museum Pass?

The only location where we had to line up to get a child's pass was at the Arc de Triomphe. Otherwise, we went directly in, by passing the lines, by showing the adult passes. The Arc does allow you to walk past the line though and ask at the guard at teh entryway for a child's pass, so really you aren't in the full line.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,055 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do We Need to Wait in Line for Kid's Free Museum Pass?

There are some places where, once inside, those who qualify for free admission must acquire a pass or button, but the lines are not long for that.

However, the "skip the line advantage" of the Paris Museum Pass is a bit overstated. The only places it's truly useful for that are Musee d'Orsay, Chateau Versailles, and, sometimes Musee de l'Orangerie.

The pass does not allow you to skip lines at some places, such as Sainte-Chapelle, the Notre Dame towers.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do We Need to Wait in Line for Kid's Free Museum Pass?

Maybe it's changed, but in 2009, we skipped the ticket line for Saint-Chapelle. You just can't skip the security line. We skipped a fairly significant line there. You have to get a ticket at Les Invalides, I think the Musee Rodin (we only went in the gardens) and definitely the Musee D'Orsay. At the Musee D'Orsay they took us to the front of the ticket line so we only waited for the group actually purchasing tickets.

5. Re: Do We Need to Wait in Line for Kid's Free Museum Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 07:20