We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

Hi there, I've been doing as much research as I can in trying to plan an upcoming trip to Paris (last week of April through first week of May). I'll be traveling with our 14month old alone and after a few days my spouse will meet us in Paris. At the moment, I've reserved a hotel room at Sebastopol but would really prefer to find an apartment in the 1st arrondissement.

I've come across a few agencies with less than stellar reviews such as Paris Attitudes, Local Nomads, Parisstay, and Escalea here on TA. In fact I nearly booked an apartment on Honore through MyParisVisit until I checked TA and read about bedbugs in the unit.

1) Is it safe to say that airbnb is a good agency?Or more specifically if anyone can recommend an exact apartment that would be great! (looking to stay around or under $400/US/night)

2) Is the 1st arr a good area to stay, I chose it as it seems to be close to all of the major attractions and most importantly shopping and we could easily walk everywhere.

3) I've read everyone say you can't just call a taxi, as I'll be traveling from CDG via taxi to wherever we end up alone with our 14 month old, how do I get a taxi with a car seat?

I'll still be combing through the forum, using the search tool to find more resources and answers but would really appreciate any quick advice, tips, recommendations anyone can readily recommend.

Thanks!

1. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 04:15
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

I'll echo what Annette said about the 1st. On a map, it looks very central, but it's really mainly a commercial area, not a neighborhood so much.

You have a fairly generous budget. I'll throw out Parisvacationapartments.com as another terrific agency. I used it in October, and their apartments are very, very nice.

CT
Level Contributor
852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

First timer and alone with a baby for a few days before hubby comes ...given your budget no question guestapartments. They almost have the equivalent of "front desk" support. They are in good locations and are exactly as descibed. I have absolutely no ties to this agency other than to have stayed in 3 of their apts..IMO look at their site and then get on the phone!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,480 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

G7 lets you arrange a pick up with a car seat., look under the "Family Cab" program.. note they have introduced some cars with carseats for chidlren under 3, so you would need one of those , not the ones with just booster seats.. .but aren't you bringing one on the plane?

While in Paris and just taking cabs around , no , you will not get a carseat. Suggest using buses.. you can roll stroller on them( area in middle for strollers) and buses are easier as metros have so many stairs and turnstiles to deal with , if on your own definately do buses.. at least if hubby is with you he can help carry stroller etc.

I have stayed in 1st... its fine, but agree with other posters that you should look at the 5th and 6th in particular.

CT
Level Contributor
852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

oh..in addition they will arrange for a crib and/or high chair at no cost and bring it to the apt.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,051 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

alone with a baby you want to be in a pleasant neighborhood with cafes where yoiu can sit sit with baby in stroller and watch the world go buy etc -- the first would not be my choice but rather the 4th or 5th or 6th near the river.

as someone noted, buses are great for travel with babies this age especially if you can't lug baby in a backpack -- which is what we did traveling with a baby this age -- strollers are not feasible for one person using the metro and awkward for two -- e.g. carrying strollers down long stairs. buses are designed for wheelchairs and strollers.

my daughter had an apartment in the 17th (not at all central of course but near the one we were renting) which had a separate kitchen, living room and bedroom -- so that they could put the baby down in the kitchen at night and essentially had the benefit of a two bedroom apartment) you might look for places like this. two bedrooms are nice but tend to be pricey especially centrally.

Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to look into the 4th, 5th and 6th. I wasn't looking at them before because on a map they look a bit away from all the major sites and we really wanted to stay near the Louvre, but I'll definitely look into them.

HappyGoin and Annette thanks for the agency recommendations, hubs says we can push the budget up to $450/night if necessary and I've seen some promising places on both ParisVacationApartments and GAS.

Joan to answer your question on I'm not taking a car seat on the plane she is booked as lap infant, I imagine it'll be ok, we've travelled to South America the same and we were fine. I do have a baby carrier/tula that's like a backpack so I'm hoping using the buses and metro will be easy. We will have a fold away umbrella stroller but I imagine that will only get used maybe on short jaunts around the neighborhood.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,900 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

Guest Apartment Services books up quickly, so send an inquiry right away about what is available before getting too much into looking at their internet offerings. The prettiest ones are likely already booked. (That's what we found and we were booking much further out than you are). I agree they are a top notch agency and do provide what is essentially concierge services.

Toronto
Level Contributor
584 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

Yes, I second the recommendation for staying in 4, 5 or 6. The Louvre is a very pleasant walk from the 6 and not too bad for 4 & 5. - and Paris is wonderful for walking. There are lots of useful shops & cafes in those districts.

Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 Days, First Timer in Paris With Baby

Just wanted to drop back in and say thank you for all the wonderful recommendations. We were able to book a lovely apartment using GAS. Christophe and Philippe have been a pleasure to work with via phone and e-mail and we'll be staying in a beautiful luxury apartment with stunning views in the 4th arr.

To eliminate car seat problems we'll be using the limo service which will provide a car seat to and from the airport, and while we are in Paris we plan on using the bus lines and of course walk, walk, walk.

Now I'm off to research all of the "must see/do" things in Paris. I'll try to report back with updates of our trip once we get there.