We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

I will be in Paris with my daughter and her husband for, unfortunately, only two nights - 19th and 20th September 2014. We would like to stay in an area central to all the major tourist attractions eg. Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysee etc. in a comfortable hotel, around 4 stars and value for money etc. Any ideas on an suitable area and/or any suggestions for a hotel?

Also, any ideas for a "see Paris in a day" tour (not on a bike or by foot), covering the major, famous Paris attractions and sights?

Thank you very much.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,030 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

Yes.. take the HOHO buses.. they are open top hop on and off buses . you can circle four routes and listen to a taped commentary.. getting off where and when you please as it stops at all major sites.. and then reboard when next bus comes along. The only issue is that with only one full day you would be wise to only do two of the routes , you won't have time to get on and off if you did all four routes.. One of the routes covers most of a first timers musts sees, , the Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe, Notre Dame and Louvre.. so do that one first ..getting off where you wish for photos or a closer look.Forget going up the Eiffel Tower, it would take too much time.

The views from the open top buses are quite nice you can see the neigborhoods as you drive through them , and are not on car level so better views.. They include a basic taped commentary and give you disposable earphones.

The L;Open tour is the company I used.. they are bright lime green and yellow buses.. impossible to miss. and you do not have to pre purchase a ticket, do it as you board.. so if its rainy you can go to plan B since sitting on an open top would not be fun. lol

Another option but one I have not personally done is the Foxity Tour.. its not a on and off bus, but costs less and is of a shorter duration. People seem to like it well enough.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

The major tourist sights are spread out all over Paris, and there is nowhere that is convenient for all of them. But almost everywhere is close to public transport and restaurants. It does not matter all that much where you stay.

Don't pay too much attention to hotel stars in France. They relate to physical facilities, not quality.

A **** hotel in Paris would be expensive. How many rooms will you need, and how much are you intending to spend per night, in euros?

Unless you have some mobility problem, I think you would do best to devise your own tour. Read up your guide book on Paris to decide where to go, and to plan how to travel between sights on public transport.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 05:11
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

Thanks for your very detailed response. We will surely do as you suggest re touring Paris.

I have researched where to stay, since posting my question - what do you think of the 6th arrondissement?

Thank you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

To Sydneynick, thank you for your response. My daughter is 28, her husband is 29 and I am 56 years of age. We have no mobility problems - I'm just not very fit! We are looking at two rooms, each between AUD $200 and $400 a night. What arrondissement would you suggest houses the most famous tourist attractions?

Also, what is the best way to get tickets to the Moulin Rouge - here in Perth or when we get there?

Because we have only two nights in Paris, I would appreciate all suggestions so as to maximise the quality of our time there.

Thank you very much.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

If you don't know the location of the sights you want to visit, it is time to buy a guide book!

Sorry, I know nothing about the Moulin Rouge. I regard it as an appalling tourist trap.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

You'll get better value for your money by staying in a 2 or 3 star hotel. The star ratings in France do not necessarily relate to luxury, but amenities instead.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

I so strongly disagree that there is no "central" convenient area to stay for at least most of the sites. Yet that is the mantra on these boards !

Yes there are sites spread all over but most are in fact clustered - assuming you don't mind walking Th 3-6th are absolutely convenient for seeing: the Marais , the Louvre, the Orsay, the Notre Dame, Pompidou, Toulleries gardens, Luxembourg gardens, the isle St. Louis and isle cite, exploring the Latin quarter, the pantheon, Sorbonne, rue mouffetard, exploring st Germain, the Odeon. Also walking the Seine river and taking a boat tour (docks are there ) also long walk, shirt taxi or train to the Eiffel Tower.

Agree the 6th is a good choice.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

Check out the Hotel Britannique for a charming hotel in a very central location.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,030 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

With that generous budget I know where I would stay. The Hotel L'Aubusson.. in the sixth near the river.. it IS central to most first timers wish list of tourists sites. Walk to Louvre, Orsay, Notre Dame etc.. Take buses if not fit as then you avoid all the stairs in the metros..

www.hoteldaubusson.com/en/

10. Re: Two night stopover. Stay central and a Paris day tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:18