We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around France?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Travelling around France?

Going to paris in June/July

I have about two and a bit weeks here.

Interested in traveling to some other places in France and possibly another country in Europe?

How long do you think is long enough to see paris and where else do you recommend is worth seeing? Interested in french riviera.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,229 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around France?

You could spend the whole time in Paris, and still not see anything like the full amount that the city has to offer.

If is up to you to read the guide books and decide on your priority between Paris and anywhere else you want to visit.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around France?

You can split between paris and riviera. 1+ week in paris is perfect and 1 week in riviera allows you plenty of time to relax.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
730 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around France?

I would spend 5 or 6 nights in Paris and then either take a tour around France in a rental car or take trains to other places easy to get to like London or Amsterdam.

You can also make it into the swiss alps in 8-10 hours and a few trains.

All depends on whether you are looking for city adventures or pastoral beauty.

Touring the various castles in the Loire Valley , or the Champagne region or headed to the northern coast to see Mont St Michele are all great choices.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around France?

Well, if you're interested in the Riviera, divide your time between Paris and there. But also get a few guidebooks and see what the other (endless) possibilities are: Normandy, Brittany, Pays Basque, Languedoc-Roussillon, central Provence, Burgundy, Alsace, the Dordogne....it's all wonderful. It depends in part upon what type of scenery and culture appeal to you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling around France?

How long do you have? 4-5 days in each of Paris and the Riviera would be good. You can fly into Nice from Paris or take the train. Flying is obviouy quicker. The Riviera is paradise!

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling around France?

One cannot really take a tour around France in a rental car in a week, unless one spend most of the time on the motorways...one has barely time to see a small area in one region of France in 7-9 days..

Port Douglas...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling around France?

For a quick visit to the South of France, I love Antibes.

Stay in the old town (mostly just pedestrian traffic) and explore on foot. There is a very large Marina right there with all the luxury yachts etc and then there's a lovely fresh food market and great places to eat and drink. Lovely to walk the seawall with great views to Nice and the sea. You can catch the train to places like Nice, Monte Carlo, Cannes etc in a morning, easily.

When I only have a few days Antibes gives me my French Riviera fix.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling around France?

Are you flying in and out of Paris? Can you fly into Paris and out of another airport?

This might make a difference as to the advice given.

If you haven't been to England, you can take the Eurostar train from Paris to London St.Pancras.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 12:24
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling around France?

You can get a round-trip flight from Orly to Nice and spend one week in Paris--another in Nice..or Cannes...or you can drive to the Burgundy area or spend a week in Brittany--although the weather in Nice would be more welcoming and warm.

Brasilia
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling around France?

I agree with jarona. One week for Paris and another one for Côte d'Azur. And you can go from Paris to Nice by plane and rent a car there. From Cannes - I suggest you to stay here - you can easily drive up to Monaco or down to Saint-Tropez. In Cannes, ile-des-lerins is worth a visit!