We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

Louvre Museum: Expect to have your bag searched on arrival and be asked to put large items in the cloakroom.

Questions: Are visitors allowed to bring computers (tablet or notebook) to the Louvre? Is there WIFI Internet access available? (These are for instant and interactive information searching inside the Louvre…)

Having some kind of computer inside the Louvre with you could be pretty handy. Don’t know where a piece of artwork is? The computer can help to guide you there. You have an artist you like, does Louvre have any of his artworks? How many? If the museum is closing in one hour, what should you do? A computer software tool can give you a list of important or famous art works, you remove the ones you have seen and the ones you are less interested, the software tool then fills up the list for you, and then help you navigate to each piece of the artwork in the shortest time. Etc…

Bottom line: Can visitors have computer & Internet WIFI access inside the Louvre?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

How about an Audioguide instead? Or a guided tour? Wouldn't you rather look at the artwork than a computer screen?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

No kidding....I cannot fathom standing right there in front of some of humanity's finest art and directing your gaze to a computer screen.

If you just can't deal with the real thing, however, there are smart-phone audio guides available for rent.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

Wifi is not available in the Louvre, although it is is available in the Carrousel du Louvre (outside the museum).

As mentioned you can take advantage of an audio guide or there is also a smartphone app available if you prefer.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

I would avoid taking any sort of wifi enabled item into the Louvre, just in case it accidentally connected to the internet. On recent form ANYTHING you read on the internet about art will be incorrect.

Far better to use the museum's own resources.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

Alexander,

Regarding your post at different thread - you do not carry pepper spray in Paris, and especially at Louvre.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

Pepper spray? The OP mentions it in his post #119 here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k48418…

Please leave your pepper spray in Texas.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,460 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

excess force is heavily punished in France -- e.g. you don't want to beat up or pepper spray a pickpocket or you will be the one in deep yogurt

in Texas apparently you can shoot people at will if you are 'frightened' and being 'frightened' is a chronic American thing -- not so in France -- pepper spray will be an illegal concealed weapon

Edited: 18 January 2014, 17:56
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

It's apparently not illegal in France but there are conditions for carrying it, how much one can carry, and reasons for doing so.

In any case, it is hardly a necessary item - as noted elsewhere, it is not the wild wild west -

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

Thanks for your advice, merci, Tesa227! Personally I will not carry pepper spray (not Louvre or Paris). On the other hand, Paris is not all that safe a city either. The pickpocket population density in the tourist attraction areas in Paris is amazing. And sometimes stealing can turn violent (into robbing, etc.) I have seen post on TA where the author said they were robbed on Champs-Elysees. Also other posts indicated pepper spray had to be used (was used) against gang people not far from the hotel where they stayed (and police came to arrest those gang members). In those situations, can’t people, especially ladies, use pepper spray to protect themselves?

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Louvre Museum: Computer & Internet WIFI access question

Alexander I am a woman in my late fifties and have spent time by myself in Paris since turning 50. I have never felt the need for pepper spray. I also don't carry it at home.

No reason you can't do your Louvre research before you go and use their guides to find your way around. Or just pick a section and wander.