We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

France roadtrip

Larkspur, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
France roadtrip

I will be spending 5 weeks on a roadtrip with a 9 and 7 year old starting in Paris and heading to Zurich, then Bavaria/Austria, then Dolomites/Venice, Florence and then back to Paris. Welcome any input on stops to see in France with kids and/or places to stay overnight.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Austria
Austria
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
France
France
Europe
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
541 Reviews
from US$73.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
656 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$122.20*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: France roadtrip

Your question would require pages and pages of replies...

Are you planning to go straight from Paris to Zurich, or will you be going the round about way, by the Loire Valley then Auvergne then Lyon, Burgundy etc.? or by Northern France (Picardie, Lorraine, Alsace) etc.

Please read a guidebook about France to see what truly interest you....

Personally I believe that 5 weeks is much TOO SHORT for the trip you are planning. Unless you fly from one country to another one with low cost airlines, then rent a car to see a few places in each country.

Europe is bigger than you think when one is on the ground and there are hundreds of interesting small towns and villages, ancient castles and churches etc. within a radius of 150 km around a main town.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Zurich
Zurich
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Auvergne
Auvergne
Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
France
France
Europe
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Europe
Europe
World
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: France roadtrip

I agree that 5 weeks is not enough time to visit all the places you have listed. Even the best behaved children get fidgety without regular stops en route and do you really want to only see places from a car window?

You might consider taking a train from Paris (gare de Lyon) to Zurich, a journey of about 4 hours on the high speed TGV (train grand vitesse). There is one that leaves Paris around 10.20 a.m. arriving in Zurich at 14.25. www.voyages-sncf.com

The train station in Zurich is a 5 min. walk to the Best Western Hotel Montana which itself is only 10-15 minutes walk to the old town.

If you wanted to visit Vienna, www.oebb.at will take you to the Austrian rail network or www.sbb.ch for the Swiss rail network.

Have a look at the separate forum regarding Train Travel for more detailed information.

In my opinion, 2-3 nights in Zurich would be enough to see the major sites/take a boat trip around the lake etc.

Mentioned in this post
Paris Gare de Lyon
Paris Gare de Lyon
231 Reviews
Paris, France
Zurich
Zurich
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Essex
Level Contributor
29,968 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: France roadtrip

Now that I am "in charge of the wheel" I love long drives and tours, even better on the M-bike....

When I was the age of your kids, however, such things were anathema to me, I used to get car sick anyway (thank goodness that no longer happens) so too much car time was torture. If that didn't happen I was happy enough reading my book, then get further tortured by people interrupting to get me to "look at the scenery", just more trees and greenstuff going past the window, honestly!

My bro, slightly younger, was also a royal pain....

The holidays themselves were great, the travelling not....

SO, of course you know your kids tolerance levels for car trips FAR FAR better than anyone else, but think back to when you were their age......

Larkspur, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: France roadtrip

thanks all for your replies...very appreciated. I will be picking up a car in Paris so the train won't be an option and I have a friend in Zurich so plan is to spend 1 day somewhere between Paris and Zurich. I was thinking Colmar, France might be a good stop. After Zurich, we have two weeks to explore until going to Florence. Just need to plan that two weeks out with 2 kids in tow....

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Zurich
Zurich
Colmar
Colmar
Haut-Rhin, France
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
5. Re: France roadtrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:19