We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tights, fashion, packing light early April

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Topic
Tights, fashion, packing light early April

I'm going to bring one luggage case for my family of 4. My plan is to go with tights and dresses to save space - for both my daughter and I. I am not sure if the weather should be ok with tights early April. I have a couple of uniqlo heat tech tights not ribbed.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,779 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

January isn't a real good time to ask about clothing for April. Late May is probably better, but even then the answer will be "Maybe."

Pjk

Florida
Level Contributor
17,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

I think April is still a cool time of year, so I would plan on layering, light jackets and sweaters. 'Dresses' sounds too lightweight to me...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,714 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

What kind of dresses? A wool dress? A light cotton dress? All depends on the dress and what you are comfortable with when traveling.

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

I will definitely have a leather jacket or a wool coat over.

But I thought of saving space on bottoms with wearing a dress with tights most of the time.

I have a pair of flat boots too so perhaps my knees or mid leg will be covered less with tights.

Yes I have wool dresses (pretty bulky) but I thought of regular dresses as well but layering inside.

I am not sure if that is sufficient for the weather in early April.

I have no problem with this configuration in about 10 to 15 degrees C but not sure if it I would be ok if any lower as I understand it can go to about 3 to 5 in Paris around that time although very unlikely right?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

I presume that leggings will still be in fashion in Paris, so tights should be fine.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

Early April is far more likely to be chilly than warm.

Unless your daughter wears dresses and tights at home in chilly weather, pants would be better. Dark bottoms are just more practical for sitting in public places, riding public transportation, etc.

But, it's not so chilly that you'd want/need boots or wool dresses (or even wool slacks). You'd be too warm indoors (restaurants, museums, shops...) and get overheated quickly.

And, a water/wind proof outer layer with warm layer for underneath (sweater, fleece, etc.) would be better than leather or wool (neither of which are practical if it's raining). You may need one or the other or both, all depending.

The ubiquitous layers, as mentioned, are always recommended, so as to be comfortable while out and about and not have to curtail your activities because you aren't dressed warm enough.

Have a look at average temps. Pay attention to lows as well as high. That time of year, high, if reached, would be for only a short while in the afternoon. Mornings and evenings will be much cooler. Much depends on whether the sun is shining or not, and whether or not it's breezy and windy.

It's not likely that you'll find your feet or knees freezing, but scarves (not the thin silk ones) are incredible for keeping you cozy in chilly weather.

And, that time of year, long underwear is excellent. Takes up little room in the suitcase, but provides the perfect layer, if needed. If not, doubles as pajamas, loungewear.

Are you staying in an apartment? If so, you can pack far less (a couple of bottoms and a few tops) and just do laundry.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,058 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

We have a saying in Paris, "In April, don't take off a thread...." Its a bad adaptation, but basically April weather is terribly fickle.

Every year I need my wool sweaters in April.

Cityhall recently published a book called A Day of Tweets in Paris. The day they chose was a random day last April.... Its was hot and sunny in the am, then a storm rolled in and it was cold rain. I highly recommend two bags and lots of layers.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 08:53
US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

Thank you everyone. I am going to go with djkbooks suggestion on layering. They could double up as lounge, sleepwear and innerwear when going out. Plus they are usually lightweight. I have a few from the uniqlo heattech line that works well and I hope it they will be good enough for Paris weather. I am concern about the rain and chills.

Unfortunately I don't have rain boots and I am not sure what works well when it rains a lot. Is the rain light and prolonged or comes and goes or heavy droplets?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

You absolutely don't need rain boots in Paris. The streets and sidewalks are paved, and it rarely rains hard -- more like a persistent heavy drizzle.

You need shoes that will withstand being wet, but you won't be wading through puddles.

(you need two pairs of shoes for each person anyway)

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tights, fashion, packing light early April

Oh thanks for giving me an idea about the rain intensity. Ok if so I'm good.