We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

My husband and I are going to Paris in April. We plan to spend a day at Versailles, but the rest of the itinerary is up in the air. I am reading a biography of Barbe-Nicole Cliquot Ponsardin (the woman who made Veuve Cliquot into a major champagne house) and would love to rent a car and take a day trip to Reims. Will taking such a side jaunt make our time in Paris too rushed? I suspect it might, but am mighty tempted by the lure of the adventure of car rental/champagne house touring/seeing some more of France!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

Only you can decide if it's worth it. If you want to go to Reims take the train (only 45 minutes by train) but you'd need to buy your train tickets up to 3 months in advance for the cheapest prices.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

Good tip on the train ticket - thanks! In your opinion, is 3 days enough to see a good number of sights in Paris (plus sit in cafes and drink wine, of course)? Ideally we would spend a couple of days in Paris and then decide if we want to go to Reims, but it sounds like the train tickets might be really expensive if we book just a day or two before.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

I would not rent a car to go to Reims to drink champagne! If you do it (which I wouldn't for such a short visit) take the train. I have been there but was staying in Reims and drank lots of champagne over 2 days. However, if you really feel it is an absolute must then only you can decide.

I have been to Paris around a dozen times and still haven't enjoyed everything I there is to see and do.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

You can check train schedules and prices and buy tickets using www.capitainetrain.com. A last minute ticket will cost between 28€ and 45€ one way. Three months in advance a one way ticket can cost as low as 15€ to 20€.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

If by 5 days you mean the first and last are travel days, then only 3 full days minus versailles So only 2 full days in Paris? I would not do another day trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,088 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

I wouldn't even do Versailles with so few days -- I am assuming 5 nights/4 days? but even if you have 6 nights/5 days, I would still focus on Paris.

If you do go to Reims, then definitely go by train. for one thing the drinking driving laws in France are much stricter than in the US and you really can't do wine tasting by car without running an enormous risk.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

Normally I would say it's plenty of time, but I've been 3 times and am familiar with using the metro and I'm the kind of traveller who loves being on the move.

It really depends on HOW MUCH you want to see in Paris and your travelling style, what are your must sees? Are you hoping to spend a day at the Louvre? etc. I would really suggest putting together a list of the attractions that you want to see and then we can help you decide if 5 days is enough.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

I'd also say it depends. If you are active and enjoy being on the move, you will have plenty of time.

Also, Versailles shouldn't really be a *full* day - if you leave early in the morning, you can plan to be back in Paris by 3-4 pm - enough time to do some more sightseeing!

It sounds like you would really enjoy a daytrip to Reims. And it also has a beautiful cathedral and interesting history. Tough decision for you!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

If you really love champagne, then go ahead do the day trip to Reims. To compensate, you can limit your time in Versailles to only visit the main palace and the garden (skipping the Trianon) and go back to Paris with enough time for more sightseeing.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Five Days in Paris - should we also take a day trip?

With only 5 days... stay in Paris. There is no shortage of champagne there.