We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

verailles

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
verailles

Would you suggest to visit Versailles over two days , one day visiting the gardens and one day the palace

Level Contributor
8,554 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: verailles

I am sure you will get lots of expert replies. I have noticed one thing here on TA and that is Versailles is one of the most popular tickets in or near Paris and waits are frequently mentioned to be three hours or so. I assume that the ticket permits you to go both inside and to the gardens and even with a 2 day ticket you will have to wait in security and other lines...so I would think one time dealing with the crowds and lines would be enough...and as I recall it is a bit of a trip to get out there from Paris.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: verailles

I don't recall there actually being a "2-day" ticket... but you could go into the Chateau on one day and have a look at the formal gardens, then return another day for the canal, back estate, the two Trianons and Marie's 'hamlet'... You'd have to pay for entrance to the Trianons and the 'hamlet' but the grounds would be free. (on the days the fountains closer to the chateau are run there is an 8€ surcharge to go into that area)...

If you can enter the Chateau at opening time (so get to the lineup area early!), see the interiors, then explore outside.... you might be able to cover nearly all of it with a full long day to do so.

-oh: there is the 2-day Museum Pass, maybe that was what was meant in above post.....

Edited: 21 January 2014, 15:30
California
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: verailles

Another way to do it in one day would be to see the gardens, Trianons, hamlet, etc. in the morning, and wait till late in the afternoon to enter the chateau once the crowds have died down. Personally, I wouldn't plan a whole day for the inside of the chateau.

Level Contributor
8,554 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: verailles

Annette has a very good idea...if I were to visit again I think I would do it that way.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: verailles

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I am a huge fanatic about Chateau du Versailles and the grounds! I have been to Paris 3 times and visited Versailles 4 times!

What I suggest if you are truly interested in the place is to get there before it opens (maybe 1/2 hour)....hopefully you will be able to beat the huge crowds and tour groups as I did when I did this in 2012....I literally had the Chateau to myself and only a handful of people...it was an amazing experience.

We spent the rest of the day exploring the grounds, having lunch at the Café by the Grand Canal, looking at both sides of the grounds of the canal, visiting Le Grand Trianon, Le Petit Trianon and Le Hameau (the "farm' of Marie Antoinette).....it made for a full day and we took the train home to Paris at the end of the day around 5pm or so.

I adore the place and cannot imagine going to Paris and not visiting it....which I am excited to be doing again this year in the fall!

It definitely depends on your stamina and your interest in the place as to how much time to devote to it. Some people just go thru the Chateau and call it a day.....others spend a day there as I do. You could do it in a two day period, but I don't want to give up another day outside of Paris personally!

Malama Pono (take care)

Janet

6. Re: verailles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 05:20