We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vat tax refund

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Vat tax refund

I will be in London for 5 days and then followed by 4 days in paris. I'm still deciding if taking the train eurostar or taking a flight to paris is better. I will be departing from paris back to singapore by flight.

1) If i were to shop in london, can i still claim my tax refund if i were to travel to paris by train?

2) If yes, how?

Do help! This will be my first solo trip to london and paris, So I'm a little lost.

Thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vat tax refund

you claim VAT when you leave the EU so you will claim your London purchases when you fly out of Paris back to Singapore. you get paperwork from the shop where you buy the goods and then show the paperwork, receipts and goods at the special counter for this at the Paris airport. You then mail the paperwork back. (the shop generally gives you the appropriate envelop) In Paris you have to spend 175 + Euro in a single store on a single day to get the refund. I don't know what the rules are in London.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vat tax refund

Google "VAT refund by country" to see what the UK's limits are, or ask on their forum. Keep your receipts. You are not supposed to use your goods until you get home, so keep the packaging. If you want to get through the process quickly (either place), you'll have your forms filled out (ask for them when you purchase) and you'll have the receipts with the proper forms. $175 minimum can be several smaller purchases on the same day - but must be in the same store.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vat tax refund

to clarify -- it is the shop form that gets stamped by the VAT office -- receipts are not enough. learned that the hard way after a lazy shop keeper said 'oh just show them the receipts' rather than filling out the paperwork as he should. we don't shop much and so didn't realize he was blowing smoke.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vat tax refund

Yes, exactly. Make sure you get the forms AND the receipts when you purchase.

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vat tax refund

okay, so to double confirm,

1) buy whatever i want in london, get the forms filled up and receipts then when leaving paris, claim my VATs at the airport, right?

6. Re: Vat tax refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:37