We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which way do we go from Paris?

Sydney
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Which way do we go from Paris?

My husband and I are looking at booking an independently organised train journey through Europe which starts in Paris. We have two alternatives to start - Paris to Heidelberg to Lucerne to Lake Como to Florence - or - Paris to Nice/Provence to Cinque Terre to Lake Como to Florence. The trips after Florence take in most of the same cities except one adds Berlin. Not having been to Europe before, does anyone have any opinion on which would be the best trip to take? I would appreciate any help with your ideas as they both sound good. Thank you.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which way do we go from Paris?

Your inquiry is confusing, as you say "independently organized", then "one adds". So not sure of your references.

And, you have not mentioned how many days you have for all that? Or, which, if any, destinations you have planned before or after?

And, you say "though Europe" which is also curious.

Regardless, the "best trip to take" for YOU, is one you've determined after doing some homework.

Which of all those places are appealing to you, personally?

Are you the least bit familiar with any of them?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,593 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which way do we go from Paris?

Whatever you decide, beware that rail passes usually offer very poor value for money, particularly in France & Italy. This site is invaluable for train travel : http://www.seat61.com/

Sydney
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which way do we go from Paris?

I am sorry if my posting was confusing. We are looking at about 5 weeks in Europe.We have 5 nights in Paris and then two nights in each of the other cities I mentioned which can be extended. The trip then goes on from Florence to Rome for four nights, Venice two nights, Austrian Alps 2 nights, Munich 2 nights, Salzburg 2 nights, Vienna 2 nights, Prague 3 nights and Berlin 3 nights (optional). We can extend any of these cities extra nights if we wish as it does seem rather hectic. Personally, I like both of the trips I asked about so do not have a preference and am not at all familiar with any of the cities. I was just asking to see if anyone thought one place was particular nicer than the other or there was one city we shouldn't miss.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which way do we go from Paris?

To me this sounds like all of your time will be spent on trains. You still haven't explained what you mean by "independently organized". With 5 weeks I'd choose 8-10 stops max. That way you would actually have a chance to experience each destination instead of just checking them off a list.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which way do we go from Paris?

The option with Provence and cinque terre is the one I would take based on my preferences for warmer weather and beach. But really this is a personal choice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which way do we go from Paris?

It sounds like the OP means a plan where transport between cities, and hotels, are arranged, and the customer is left to fend for himself for everything else.

Even in my backpacking days, I would not have considered two-night stays anywhere, considering the travel times between places, unless I had to spend a night for transit purposes.

You have about 35 days in Europe. You'll want at least four full days in Florence, and four or more in Rome. You'll need to cut something out.

I suggest consulting an actual travel agent who is familiar with Europe.

7. Re: Which way do we go from Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:18