We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I only had a week...what should we skip?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
If I only had a week...what should we skip?

Travelling in early March with husband and teenager who are first time in Paris; I've been many years before.

Don't want to rush around all day, every day, but will go to Louvre, Orsay, L'Orangerie, Notre Dame, Ste. Chappelle, Sacre Coeur.

And then there will be light window shopping at the big dep't stores, the obligatory walk down the Champs Elysees and walk past the Eiffel.

Our interest is architecture, galleries and just getting a feel of the city.

Is this too much? Should we go to St. Denis also? Special trip to the Pantheon or is it enough to wander by on our walks?

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

I think you can do all that in a week.

Just make a preliminary itinerary based on days venues are closed and places in proximity to one another.

You might start with one major (Louvre, Orsay, St-Denis, per day) then add others (Champs Elysees after Louvre, going past Place de la Concorde, Grand Palais and Petit Palais, on your way; the Eiffel Tower then department stores after Orsay, Montmartre on your way back from St-Denis, etc.).

It's usually best to start at the busiest place (Sainte-Chapelle, then Notre Dame...).

You can be flexible with the walking...do that evenings or when you have unexpected extra time between other things.

Inside the Pantheon and a trip to St-Denis are definitely worthwhile.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,231 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

even if you did one thing on your list a day, it would leave you plenty of time to just stroll around.

Sacre Coeur is touristy at sunset, but it's a great way to maximize your time by moving it to the evening for an hour - and the teenager might like it. Same with the Eiffel Tower - it is beautiful when lit up at night. Maybe do an enclosed boat tour at night?

How much time are you really going to spend in Notre Dame? half hour, an hour at most?

March may be too cold/damp to stroll for long periods of time, so I would break up the museums - one a day then leave the rest of the day for flexibility. and shopping

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 23 January 2014, 21:39
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

To expand a little on what djkbooks said, rather than making an ironclad day-by-day itinerary, you might do a loose itinerary with the things you want to do, including their open days/times. Then, when you wake up each day, you can choose a days' itinerary based on weather and whim. For example, you could do a museum-heavy day on a rainy day.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

I agree with djkbooks that you have not overloaded your schedule. The thing I would emphasize is that it's important to explore neighborhoods/areas and not "just" museums, churches, and landmarks. For example, when you go to see Sacre Coeur, make sure you spend the better part of the day exploring the whole of Montmartre--get up near the Moulin de la Galette, see the cemetery, get north to rue Caulaincourt, etc. When you see the Pantheon (it's pretty neat inside IMO--where else do you find a secular church?), make sure you also explore the Latin Quarter--see the medieval Clovis Wall, the Roman Arena, the Cluny Baths, etc. You get the idea.

Walk up a market street--like rue des Martyrs (this will lead you into Montmartre--or you can combine it with a visit to the Garnirer), see the Covered Passages, explore the Les Halles area with the wonderful St Eustache and rue Montorgueil. Go a little bit off the beaten path--see Belleville, or the Barbes market, etcetcetc. Take the time to learn Paris a bit.

There's a neat little guidebook that can help you do that called "Insight Guides: Paris Step By Step." It's full of self-guided walks throughout many neighborhoods of Paris.

Have fun!

5. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 22:35
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

Notre Dame has a fascinating museum underneath it (the crypt - not the Treasury). Certainly worth including.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

If you'll have seven full days, you'll have no problem enjoying all the places you mentioned. Some people arrive in the afternoon of day 1, depart on the morning of day 7, and call that a week. Even with only five full days, it can be done, with careful planning.

As mentioned earlier, try to visit sites that are fairly close to each other, on a particular day. I have visited the Louvre, the Sainte Chapelle and Notre Dame on the same day at a leisurely pace, and still had time for a walkabout and two meals.

-- Steve

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
225 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

I'm there for 8 full days and staying on Ile St. Louis so can easily go to Notre Dame earlier in the morning to, hopefully, beat most of the crowds.

Thanks for the ideas about combining attractions with neighbourhoods and keeping the itinerary flexible. Yes, I completely agree that we're not there just to jump from one landmark to another. I'll check out the book for self-guided walks.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

I think you will enjoy the book, and it really helps orient you to the lay out of the city as well because in addition to the neighborhood maps, there is a street map of the entire city, and a Metro chart as well. If you get it well ahead of time, you can learn your way around a bit and plan your itinerary by area (because you will see what is where, and what areas abut.) Have a great trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,390 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If I only had a week...what should we skip?

St. Denis -- a full week? absolutely. ONe of the most overlooked yowza sites.

Here is our most recent trip:

…wordpress.com/2010/…

you have plenty of time to do what you want to do