We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outside cafes in the winter

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Outside cafes in the winter

Bonjour! Can anyone tell me of cafes/restaurants/bars in Paris that you can sit outside and enjoy a drink or a snack at in the winter? I know when we were in Prague in 2012 it was cold and most cafes with outside seating would have large heaters outside and blankets for customers to use. So does anyone know of places like this in or is this common in Paris also? One of my favorite parts about visiting Europe is sitting outside with a drink and people watching so if I can do this in the winter I would be very happy! We will be in Paris mid February! Thank you!! :)

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

Most of them have outdoor sitting in the winter months with heated terraces, so no problem at all, it won't require any planning. All you need to do is walk and you will see lots of options.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
389 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

We just got back from Paris and yes they have cafes where you can sit outside with heaters. Now I don't know about blankets - but heaters for sure :) We sat outside for lunch under a heater and enjoyed the people watching for sure!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

I have never seen blankets offered to customers though.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

I've never been to Prague, but suspect that the set-up is similar here.

Most terraces are covered in the winter - some with permanent "conservatory" glass systems, some only with roll-down, heavy plastic sheeting. Some are much better and warmer than others. Terraces that allow smokers are supposed to be left open, though this is not always the case. Many places have switched to the new electric overhead heatlamps, which is a lot better - as long as you don't mind roasting the top of your head...

The "umbrella-type" gas heaters are expensive, and I have often had to ask the waiter to turn them on.

I find it hard to recommend a particular terrace, though, since some people just cannot bear any draft at all, while others are happy sitting in what amounts to a meat locker - as long as they have a good view.

Blankets are becoming fairly common in my neighborhood - just depends on the establishment.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 19:56
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

La Frigate on Quai Voltaire, corner of rue de Bac, has year round outside (super people watching on the Quai) seating WITH fleece lap blankets.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

Oh I've seen the blankets too !

OP as suggested above many cafes have outdoor seating with heat lamps, and sometimes blankets and plastic cover over the terrace.

One of my favorite experiences in Greece, Paris, south of France and Italy in the winter!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,432 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

We sat here on a recent, wintery trip to Paris ---> LE BISTROT MAZARIN, 42 rue mazarine, 75006.

Pjk

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

Prague is generally colder than Paris in the winter. The heaters do a more than adequate job, no need to put a blanket over you. What next? Ear mufflers, gloves?

California
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

The several-years-old smoking laws in France have driven the smokers from inside restaurants onto the terraces. In my experience, being a non-smoker, it hasn't been pleasant dining on the terrace ever since. Just sayin'. I'm not complaining about having smoke-free indoor dining ;)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outside cafes in the winter

I have seen only two cafés that also had blankets, but frankly they would normally not be required.